Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WB 24]Hosting a second website

Posted by ericus 
[WB 24]Hosting a second website
May 24, 2022 10:30AM
Good morning

So I have my own web server hosting my own plumaccounting.co.za.

Now I want to host another website on the same server. How difficult is that and where do I start?

The 2nd site will be the WebDev sample eCommerce site which I have adapted to my clients' requirements. I assume there is no problem with that but I still need to configure the webserver and then configure the site automatic update.

Thanks again for the community's assistance.

Ericus Steyn
Re: [WB 24]Hosting a second website
May 24, 2022 11:55AM
Hello Ericus

You can have multiple domains on your web server

[infosonline.net]
JP
May 24, 2022 12:20PM
Ericus

Under Windows server you need IIS8 or later in order to host multiple sites i.e. several domain names. Under Linux I dont know the version required.

Under IIS:

1) Set up a new site under IIS using the usual approach

2) Create a new WebDev site

3) Upload the WebDev site to the server in the same way as you laready have done but specifying the new domain / website details.

Please also note your website plumaccounting.co.za is not configured correctly:

plumaccounting.co.za - connects to your site but is not secure / not using https - will give user problems connecting

www.plumaccounting.co.za - connects to your site but is not secure / not using https - will give user problems connecting

[plumaccounting.co.za] - does not connect to your site at all

[www.plumaccounting.co.za] - connects to your site and is secure

JP
May 24, 2022 12:31PM
Thanks JP I am going to give it a try.

With regards to plumaccounting.co.za the main pages are AWP pages. Only once you click on Login and enter the accounting system is it secured.

Ericus
JP
May 24, 2022 01:11PM
Ericus

It has nothing to do with AWP pages or not.

You're going to get problems - many browsers (eg. Firefox) use Google security lists to decide whether to connect to a website or not. Google have stated they will be implenting a policy to not make connections to non-HTTPS sites. Browsers using that list will then not connect. We had this problem a while back and converted all our sites and all domain name variations (e.g. with / without www. etc.) to use HTTPS. Just my 2c.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2022 01:11PM by JP.
May 25, 2022 08:10AM
Thanks very much for the information JP.

Most of what you say are above my head. I can develop but I only have a yellow belt when it comes to web server administration.

Maybe there is a member of the community that are prepared to assist me with sorting this out on my server. And then t configure the seond website.

Obviously for a fee.

It does not make sense for me to spend 4 hours figuring things out if someone else can do it in 1 hour.

Ericus Steyn
JP
May 25, 2022 12:05PM
Ericus

Have sent you a PM.
May 25, 2022 06:32PM
Hallo JP

I have not received any message. If you can email me on let at iafrica dot com it will definitely reach me.

Ericus Steyn
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.