Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Combo box with editable (typing anything) facility

Posted by sivakrith 
May 02, 2022 01:14PM
Hello,
Windev 22

I want a combo box facility, where I can select data from, if I want, else I can type whatever is required there. Is this possible in WIndev 22?

Eg.
For a column, there is a lookup file where user will a list of predefined ones. In transaction screens, user will either choose one from the lookup file else type what he requires there. a sort of Combo + Text column. I'm not sure how to implement this is Windev 22.

Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Happiness Always
BKR Sivaprakash
Al
May 02, 2022 01:48PM
Hello BKR

I have a process, that sounds very similar to what you are doing and has worked for me for the last thirty plus years - so not just with Windev.

File #1 has a primary key and a field which contains the name of the field/control calling the lookup elements. File #2 has the File #1 primary key value as a foreign key, a field for descriptions, return values etc and anything else I need to do when a choice is made. A call to File#1 in the control init passing the control name to a procedure returns the primary key which is then used to fill the drop down box from file #2

In answer to your question:
To maintain the lookup list in File #2 I have a separate small button beside the drop down box which allows access to File#2 so that items can be added or removed. Apart from the obvious advantages of having a file of look ups, this approach means that the system administrator can control who can adjust the lookup list otherwise clueless users just fill them up with crap and miss- spelled duplicates smiling smiley

Regards
Al
May 02, 2022 01:56PM
Thanks AI. Good points which I will try to implement in other conditions.

For my this requirement, I need to provide a way to enter what the user likes, no issues misspellings and duplicates here. I need way to select from lookup or enter whatever rubbish he likes, in the same column.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.