Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WB27] Awfully slow

Posted by pietvanz 
[WB27] Awfully slow
April 05, 2022 05:13PM
Hi,

I saw the post about Windev 26 UI being disliked very much.
My experiences with WB27 are the same.
Switching between different window tabs takes an average of 10 seconds for a complex page even if already opened.
WB 23 had no problems with these pages.
Even opening a popup from a page takes ages to switch back and forth.
It looks like a window needs to be reloaded every time it gets focus.

About multiple windows:
I found that holding down the control key prevents a window from docking.
Then it is possible to have several windows in the workspace at the desire size and position.
But don't forget to hold the control key when moving or resizing a window because it will relentlessly dock.
Now trying to find one of your floating windows is no easy task. Minimizing one will minimize Webdev altogether, so empty screen!
These windows are not listed on any tab to bring them up front.
The workspace tab is always in the background and I found myself ending up with a split screen on many occasions, no idea what happened or what purpose it has. And anything you open there is masked by floating widows. Clicking the hamburger menu on the top right side and selecting a window returns an "An invalid argument was encountered" messsage.
I'm afraid it's a complete unworkable mess.

Another new feature is that server and browser procedures are now mixed in the same pane and if I copy a browser procedure from one page to another it ends up being a server procedure, without any option to change it back into a browser procedure.

Also, updating templates was supposed to be significantly faster.
Well, what they seem to have done is take out the update the page styles from the process, so after a template update I am prompted to update the page styles. Nice advertising: You arrive much faster at your destination, but they don't mention that you have to wait for another hour for your luggage to arrive.

I'll try again every now and then if I can spare the time, but for now I'm back to 23.

Regards,
Piet
Argus
Re: [WB27] Awfully slow
April 05, 2022 05:36PM
regarding

>>>Another new feature is that server and browser procedures are now mixed in the same pane and if I copy a browser procedure from one page to another it ends up being a server procedure, without any option to change it back into a browser procedure. <<<

I'm using 26 and did not have the problem of procedure changing from browser to server BUT I found how to CHANGE a procedure from browser to server (or BOTH at the same time) :

At the top of the code window, on the "title" line, there is a new button on the left with S for server of B for browser and you can click it to change the type.
Al
April 05, 2022 06:21PM
Hello Piet

The UI disaster starts at V26 so if you have a V27 licence you could download a copy of V24 as the last decent version.

V25 has the good UI but unfortunately has the bug where it doesn't always save all the open windows with Alt S. I get around that by selecting windows and Ctrl S and a prayer or two.

Regards
Al
April 05, 2022 06:49PM
Thanks Argus, that works.
April 05, 2022 06:50PM
Thanks Al, I'll give it a try.
Regards,
Piet
Re: [WB27] Awfully slow [solved?]
April 05, 2022 10:35PM
Hi,

I found a workaround (or intented new use) that seems to work nice.
Not as flexible as mdi windows, but it works for me:
- Rightclick on the tab that indicates the name of the window or code that has been opened.
- There's an option in the "Group" section that allows to create a group on the right.
- Now the workspace will be split vertically in two areas.
- It's possible to drag stuff from left to right vice versa.
Whatever you open will appear in the currently active section (Group) of the workspace.
I typically put the larger windows left in an area with appropriate size and popups and smaller windows to the right.
Switching between left and right is instantly, without the delay I descibed earlier.

This is quite a relief and I'm gonna do a little more testing.
Has anyone found some Help pages or tutorial on this subject?

Regards,
Piet
Re: [WB27] Awfully slow caused by live data
April 06, 2022 10:51AM
Hi,

Well, I did a little more testing and it was awfully slow indeed.
I've been staring at an hourglass longer then I could ever imagine.
I changed all popups on a large page to autoclose, this is how it goes:
- click on button code
- wait for 10+ seconds
- type code and back to page
- wait for 10+ seconds
- click on other button code
- and so on

Finally I noticed that displaying the live data was the culprit.

Regards,
Piet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2022 11:03AM by pietvanz.
August 15, 2022 02:57AM
Hello

I don't use live data - but but the IDE WebDev 27 is very slow in comparison with V22.

I don't have a detailed analysis of this issue - but mostly it concerns "drill-down' functionally - e.g - right click on a table control and click "description" - can take up to 20 seconds. Seems "ok" when cached.

I have plenty of bandwidth and cpu. Does this fit with others' experience - or is there something I can tweak to overcome this issue.

I does impact development speed - as I often get distracted waiting for a Table Control screen to appear.

Regards,
Derek
August 15, 2022 09:45AM
Hi,

My last post suggests that all is ok, but I haven't touched 27 for months now.
The main problem is that I'm not able to see two windows at the same time to compare code and/or gui.
That's a show stopper for me.

Best regards,
Piet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2022 09:49AM by pietvanz.
August 16, 2022 02:53PM
I'm using 26. To see the page editor and code editor at the same time I open the page editor and then, clicking on the yellow tab, drag downward. The page editor will change from full screen to half screen on the left. Then I right click on an control in the page editor and select 'Code'. The code editor will open half screen over the page editor. I click on code editor's yellow tab and drag it to the right. Now the page editor is half screen and the code editor is half screen.

Note in this case, I am using full and half screen to mean the area in WX where editors are displayed.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.