Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WB26] - Chrome time-out [RESOLVED]

Posted by DerekM 
[WB26] - Chrome time-out [RESOLVED]
December 06, 2021 05:33AM
Hi all

Not even sure if this has anything to do with WebDev - but recently upgraded V22 to V26. All working fine with my default browser (Edge) - switch to Chrome for testing (GO) - and the application keeps timing out. There is an application level keep-alive routine and this all appeared to work fine before the upgrade - now in Chrome only - it times-put regardless of the application level keep-alive routine (this runs once as normal - then the GO application times out at 600 seconds.

Yea - I have a lot of checking still to do - but thought I'd ask in case anyone has run into anything similar. Never had any cross-compatibility issues with Chrome/Edge until now.

(If I find anything that's relevant to WebDev I'll post it here).

*** This issue is resolved for me ***
What is not working is Using Chrome from the GO button with the latest WebDev 26.
When deployed - Chrome is working as normal.

Don't know WHY this is happening - and at the moment - I don't care. Issue is resolved for me. I did not test through to deployment as the GO always worked before with all browsers.

Note (for reference): This does seem like a bug with GO in WB26 01A260101d. My configuration is Windows 11. This is a SAAS application, and in Test mode it is using the Server (remote) SAAS Admin. It *may* work with local SAAS. At any rate - it is not a serious issue as long as you are aware that GO with test browser set to Chrome may result in the session terminating after 2 minutes of inactivity..

Thanks & Regards
Derek

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2022 02:32AM by DerekM.
Argus
Re: [WB26] - Chrome time-out
December 06, 2021 12:30PM
two things come to mind:

1. Make sure that your keepalive routine returns a differnet value each time, in case chrome is trying to be smarter than you and is "optimizing" your calls

2. Try opening the developers tools on chrome and check if you have a JS error in the console. It may be that your code is carashing silently on the browser, for some reason, and the keepalive doesn't run anymore
December 06, 2021 07:17PM
Thanks Argus

Chrome appears to be objecting to something. Best option I guess is to restructure the keepalive as Chrome is what it is and does what it does.

Note: As Chrome and all browsers run their own show - this "feature" of Chrome could have been introduced at any time -and nothing to do with the WebDev upgrade.

Regards
Derek

[Some Chrome messages that may be relevant]

WDAJAX.js?3000c5c9b29d2:3 [Deprecation] Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help, check [xhr.spec.whatwg.org].
WDAJAXRequete.xEnvoi @ WDAJAX.js?3000c5c9b29d2:3
__xEnvoi @ WDAJAX.js?3000c5c9b29d2:3
sRequeteSynchroneTexte @ WDAJAX.js?3000c5c9b29d2:3
__AJAXExecute @ WDAJAX.js?3000c5c9b29d2:3
AJAXExecuteSynchrone20 @ WDAJAX.js?3000c5c9b29d2:3
(anonymous) @ XFQAADAGDQIBAGDZMgjlydh3xV0:133
u @ WDUtil.js?3ffff5c9b29d2:3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2021 07:23PM by DerekM.
Argus
December 06, 2021 09:01PM
it looks like you are using ajaxexecute for your keep alive, and chrome is telling you NO, because it blocks the user during it's execution time without anything showing.

Use ajaxexecuteASYNCHRONOUS instead.
December 07, 2021 12:53AM
Thanks Argus

That does look like the problem. However, modified to Async which again works in other browsers - but apparently other problems - chrome now complaining about an uncaught Type Error.

Pretty sure I can fix this - but now right now.

BTW - for others reference - similar chrome issues in French forum.

[forum.pcsoft.fr]

Regards,
Derek

Chrome complaint :
WDUtil.js?3ffff5c9b29d2:3 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read properties of null (reading 'document')
at Object.clWDUtil.oTraceDebut (WDUtil.js?3ffff5c9b29d2:3)
at Object.clWDUtil.Trace (WDUtil.js?3ffff5c9b29d2:3)
at jFgAADfLTwMAAPuynkt44EZtLZI:133
at u (WDUtil.js?3ffff5c9b29d2:3)
clWDUtil.oTraceDebut @ WDUtil.js?3ffff5c9b29d2:3
clWDUtil.Trace @ WDUtil.js?3ffff5c9b29d2:3
(anonymous) @ jFgAADfLTwMAAPuynkt44EZtLZI:133
u @ WDUtil.js?3ffff5c9b29d2:3
Re: [WB26] - Chrome time-out [Bigger problem than thought]
January 13, 2022 12:36AM
OK - so chrome doesn't like synchronous ajax.

Changed to Async.

However - chrome blocks this after one iteration.

There is a lot of information about chromes new features

small sample:
[github.com]
[stackoverflow.com]
[forum.pcsoft.fr]

None of this information is actually pointing me to a solution with WebDev.

I am surprised that there so few comments from WebDev users - which leads me to believe that I am missing something fundamental.

(Note; all browsers work except Chrome - and Chrome was working fine several months ago)

If chrome is blocking the timer and/or the ajax call - how can a keepalive procedure be implemented.

Currently - I have the timer and local proc code set in the page templates - which call a server process that 'pings' the database (actually I write to a lightweight log). This technique is described by Fabrice and on the Wxperts blog.

Ideally, I am looking for a solution that doesn't require work on the application server - but at the moment I am at a loss.

Anyone got a keepalive routine working with Chrome?

TIA to anyone with any suggestions or comments.

Regards,
Derek

------------------------
* UPDATE *

Hmm! Further testing. All "keepalive" functions are working as normal. However - no matter - it times out after 2 minutes.

From comments - it seems that Google are playing with timeout throttling algorithms - sine April 2021. I can find plenty of questions posted around - but no solutions.

For now - it seems that the only solution is to remove Chrome from the verified browser list for my application.

It all sounds a bit Mickey Mouse - but here we are !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2022 06:17AM by DerekM.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.