Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Password Mask

Posted by MT 
MT
Password Mask
June 23, 2021 09:40AM
Hi folks,

I know you can use or set the Password mask on an edit control etc, but how do you do the same on a column in a table, it does not seem to offer that functionality.
Re: Password Mask
June 23, 2021 11:07AM
Hi,

passwords shouldn't be stored in datafiles. Never ever. The most simple and safe way to kinda store a password, is to convert it to a hash and to "salt" the hash after conversion. "Salting" means to insert random characters at certain positions within the text of the hash and to remove them before checking the password against the hash. That's the way it is done today. Stealing of whole files containing passwords is impossible that way - the thief has nothing except for a file with unusable hashes.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
Argus
June 23, 2021 04:15PM
+1....

and as passwords should NEVER be stored in a DB (except of course for a password manager, but in that case you DON'T want to display them in a table), there is no reason for the password mask to be available in a table control
MT
July 30, 2021 12:53PM
Thanks for the feedback, but the column I need to (password) actually is not a password I just want to use the functionality that the edit control has to hide the value of the field, a request from my customer!

As an aside I am well aware of not putting passwords in DBs
pao
July 30, 2021 01:13PM
I don't think you can define it in the table columns, yo can do the same by code.

If you really need it why don't you put some code in the Whenever modifying event of that column to replace what is typed witth * or some other char.

Regards

Paulo Oliveira

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2021 01:14PM by pao.
Argus
July 30, 2021 02:22PM
in that case, you can simply use 2 columns: one is invisible, with the real data in it, and one is visible, with 8 ******* in it for each line...
When you do whatever you do to make the info visible, you either switch the visibitliy of the whole column or copy the content of one cell to the other
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.