Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Auto-Update apps

Posted by SteveSitas 
Auto-Update apps
June 04, 2021 09:36AM
Hi,
I am looking for a solution OR ideas about an automatic update feature in one of my apps.
It should work "through" the internet for about 1000 installations _AND_ for WINDOWS and JAVA WD apps
I cannot use PCSofts embedded update functionality since so many things happen automatically.

Regards
Steven Sitas
Argus
Re: Auto-Update apps
June 04, 2021 01:14PM
Fabrice has a video course about that...
The main points :
- a text file with version information in it
- httprequest to download it WHEN you want to check for a new version
- if new version, it also contains the URL of the new version installer, so
- httprequest to download it
- runexe to start it
- endprogram

this works perfectly of the user has admin/install rights...

If not, there are other methods (I think there was a thread on this forum about it), but it's more complex:
- Generate your application as a WDL (old school) or as a component
- the exe is now only a launcher of the one above and is in charge of doing the chcking for version as above
- the wdl or component is NOT in the program files directory for writing reason
- so when you download it, you just copy iot on top of the old one, and restart the exe

As for the java part of your question, I am not using java (too limited). For mac, I either install a virtual machine with windows on it on the mac, or I use playonmac that is surprinsigly good.
June 04, 2021 04:33PM
Hi Steven,

I do it in that way:

I have a SOAP Webservice hosted on a server.
This Server holds different Versions as patch or MSI package in a database.
Most updates work as patch.

Then each app after start sends its current exe Version to the soap server, and the soap server can respond with different values:
- There is no need to update
- There is an update available
- There is a mandandatory update available.

If an update is necessary the App asks the SOAP Server for the installation packe, with is downloaded ad buffer.
Of course the user needs Admin rights for running the installer.

With the solution Argus mentioned the user do not need admin rights for updating. I tried this solution also, but I think in this case I do not respect some windows security aspects, and I am a bit frightened that this version might be blocked by some AV Software or a future version of windows (as the behavior to download code in another directory as the programs(x64) or program folder is not according to MS rules AFAIK.

The solution with the soap service has some other advantages:
I integrated a kind of license management system.

So the Application sends a serial number to the soap service after the program start, and the soap service checks wheather the license is valid, and returns with a value which the app needs to determine wheather its is allowed to start.

For programs which are available in different versions (basic version / pro version and so on) the app can also ask the soap server for a version id.
Example a user owns a basic license and purchases the pro version I only change a value in my license management system and after the next start of the app it is upgraded.

Or a user has a trial version I can add a expiry date and the App does not start after this date.

It took me about one day to program the license and update manager.

Regards

Stefan,
Argus
June 04, 2021 09:52PM
> With the solution Argus mentioned the user do not
> need admin rights for updating. I tried this
> solution also, but I think in this case I do not
> respect some windows security aspects, and I am a
> bit frightened that this version might be blocked
> by some AV Software or a future version of windows
> (as the behavior to download code in another
> directory as the programs(x64) or program folder
> is not according to MS rules AFAIK.

Yep, but go tell that to chrome, firefox, brave and other major browsers... They are ALL updating without needing admin rights
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.