Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WM25] Android: automatic installation of newer version of apk

Posted by Wilaroth 
[WM25] Android: automatic installation of newer version of apk
May 11, 2021 03:10PM
Hi everyone,
with the aid of WM25, new version of Gradle and some prayers, I managed to successfully launch an installation of an .apk from the application itself, and it works... Sort of.
If I manually launch the .apk file from a file manager, the steps are:
-The device asks me if i want to install the apk;
-When i select Install, it shows a progress bar;
-When the installation is finished, the device tells me that, and I have the option to exit the wizard or to open the application.

If I launch the .apk via ShellExecute, the device asks me what to do, but when i press Install, nothing happens: no error messages, no dialogs, nothing.
However, if I open the application, I can see that the last version is installed.
Is there a way to emulate the steps of the file manager?
TIA
Same issue.

Obviously you have to launch shellexecute("apk") and then close the app you need to upgrade because if opened you cannot upgrade.

"Launching the apk and closing the app" gives control to android. Android install the new version successfully without giving feedback to the user.
Apk generated in the same way in WM23 give feedback, with WM25 not. Even if you launch the apk on older android devices (V.8).
Is is not a issue related to android version.
It seems something related to the generated apk. Can be fixed with manifest o something else?

Did someone solved this?
Without workarounds, this is a bad bug of WM25.
Re: [WM25] Android: automatic installation of newer version of apk
June 29, 2021 11:07AM
Hi

I had this problem a few years ago. I remember having to do something but forget now - and I know that does not help you. We also had many problems with end users having to hunt for the apk after downloading or when tapping the download it does not work on the face of the phone or it only works when accessed in the download folder or when accessed in the myfiles folder. It is a complete mess.

So here is my advice. On account of the very many Android versions and usages in the market with the different phones and versions of phones I would recommend that you have a serious look at the new MDM that PCSoft has provided. We are busy testing it and it looks to solve the many issues that we have had with Android devices. Still busy testing but if works it is going to be just what the doctor ordered.

Cheers
André
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.