Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finding WX26 IDE very unstable

Posted by pauly139 
Finding WX26 IDE very unstable
March 01, 2021 03:29AM
Hi all

Firstly this isn't a complaint, as I understand I am using pre-release software. I'm wondering if anyone else is having similar problems, or if I have a corrupted project.

Have a WB project with around 150 Pages, also lots of classes and other components - was upgraded from a WB25 project. I find 2 areas cause WB26 to crash - updating a page template, and then trying to populate that change through all the pages that use it.

The other confusing problem is that I am unable to open the Project description - that immediately causes WB to crash.

Anyone having similar issues?

Rgds
Paul Turner
Re: Finding WX26 IDE very unstable
March 01, 2021 07:04AM
Hi Paul,

how did you get an English WX26 ?? Or is it a French one? If so then you can see yourself how our French colleagues are suffering ...

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
March 01, 2021 11:23AM
Hi Günther

The French one can be configured to run with an English or Spanish UI too.
Here and there some missing translations in my release.
Finally they're moving to a single multilingual platform it seems.
Have they seen the light?

Cheers

Peter
March 02, 2021 12:03AM
Hi Guenter - it is the French version. From your comment I'm assuming I'm not alone in my suffering! Yesterday I had to change a PAGE template, and then spent the next 6 hours updating the related pages, one by one...

Rgds
Paul
March 02, 2021 02:10AM
Following on, the latest update fixed my 2 major problems with WX26.
Argus
March 02, 2021 01:09PM
> Finally they're moving to a single multilingual
> platform it seems.
> Have they seen the light?

Nope, they just changed the lamp...

There is still a french version, a US version (both doing both french and english UI) and NOW the dongle does NOT accept BOTH versions anymore. So if you install the french version, you CANNOT also install the US version later.

Not a problem? Think about it... Your dlls (the framework) will be ALL IN FRENCH and you cannot compile with the US OR the FR version to change that anymore.

Looks like they are trying to force people to buy the INTERNATIONAL version (more expensive) that had absolutely no advantage before.
March 02, 2021 01:24PM
Hi Argus,

as a dealer we did not receive any warnings about that! Currently I'm using a French dongle because we want to have early info about features. If that means that I have to buy an English or an International version additionally ... it's not very logical. They have no price for updating a French version 25 to an International version 25 in their price list. Yes, the download is suspicious, they ask for the serial number now ... let's wait.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
March 02, 2021 04:45PM
Hi both

I started with an international version in 1999 and over the course of the years somehow my license was altered into an 'F'-one by PCSoft without asking me anything. Maybe because I always stepped in during the French early bird upgrade period in December to look at some of the new (half baked) features and new bugs. I also think they stopped the expensive 'International'-license option (FR+US+WDTrad+WDInt) and just moved to English and French licensed dongles somewhere between V9 and V12 I think...

Until now I never had a problem installing the English releases over any of the 'F'-licensed dongles.
In the end it is the same product with just another UI and a translated runtime.
I would be surprised this would change with V26 and if it would it is a reason to loose confidence in PC$.
It would go against any direction the software industry is moving in over the last decade.

One of my suggestions over many years to their commercial team has always been to make the English version and runtime the default one since most of the world speaks English but only few in the world master French... Guess this is like cursing in the French church but I do see an evolution where PC$ is trying to align its English release better with the French ones. It comes with the numbers I guess... The bigger the international user base, the more their commercial impact in driving the software platform in a certain direction.

Their business model will change anyway imho... These dongles are so outdated conceptually going back to an era where software was still distributed physically on floppies, CDs or DVDs... They still physically deliver printed books (that aren't really updated, cannot be searched, corrected and annotated by the community and go in the paper bin straight away here) together with their cheap Chinese gadgets. That is certainly not sustainable from an ecological point of view and so outdated. Reason why I deny physical delivery since many years although I still receive the physical delivery sometimes explicitely having asked not to receive the physical package. If all that money for printing, boxing, shipping, etc would be invested in developing and bugfixing the software platform we would see huge improvements in it imho.

A subscription model for using the software and staying up-to-date digitally would be so much more logical nowadays.

W8 and C I guess...

Peter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2021 04:49PM by PeHoBe.
March 02, 2021 05:36PM
A subscription model for using the software and staying up-to-date digitally would be so much more logical nowadays.

Hi Peter, in fact I do love the dongles! It's my decision on which of our computers I'm working. Of course, it's a big "no no!" to code on a customer's computer, but I can always access the computer in the office by PcVisit (a cheaper alternative to TeamViewer) anyway. Dongle-free solutions usually are using the computer as a "dongle" through its UUID and that means that I cannot use any computer anymore. However, let's see what PC Soft decides to do.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
March 02, 2021 06:26PM
Hi Günther

I use Visual Studio too and the license for the pro versions is not linked to any machine... I work with a subscription on an MS account independent of the machine I am running it from. Could be a machine belonging to a client even where this account also gives me access to my personal repositories in the cloud. Based on some AI and data acquisition I'm sure they know if an account is being abused.

In a connected world where it is impossible to work/develop efficiently in a non connected fashion for a long period a subscription account should be sufficient. Next by analysing use statistics coupled to the account by an AI engine you know immediately if an account is being abused. In a modern world these dongles are prehistoric.

Cheers

Peter
Willy pen
March 31, 2021 02:04PM
Hi guies can i have WX 26 IDE please !!!!
Ola
March 31, 2021 08:04PM
Hi Willy pen

Of course! Why wouldn't you? Just contact PCSoft or Guenter. I am sure they will be happy to sell you one.

Ola
Ola
March 31, 2021 08:11PM
Hi all,

Considering the licence control, I don't mind how they do it as long as it doesn't disturb me. But I absolutely want to use my WX regardless whether I'm connected to internet or not, and I want to be able to use it in any computer capable of running it.

Best regards
Ola
ccc2
April 01, 2021 08:18PM
for those that made payment for wx26 in early feb , since now is april , you can make report PCS frauds and demand refund.

usually PCS will release pre version , in order to prevent such issues to occurs . but this is first time they drag until april .
seeing this make me worry stability issue on wx26
April 02, 2021 02:53AM
I've been using WX26 for a while now, and for the last month it is has been stable in terms of both the IDE and the compiled code it produces. No complaints from me. Caveat is that I have only been using WB26 and WD26. No experience with WM26 yet.

Rgds
Paul
April 02, 2021 06:57AM
for those that made payment for wx26 in early feb , since now is april , you can make report PCS frauds and demand refund.

Hi, you cannot. First, there is a lockdown in whole of France until April 10th. Second, most users do not report any instabilities, at least not more than with WX25.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
ccc2
April 02, 2021 08:51AM
gpredl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
for those that made payment for wx26 in
> early feb , since now is april , you can make
> report PCS frauds and demand refund.

>
>
> Hi, you cannot. First, there is a lockdown in
> whole of France until April 10th. Second, most
> users do not report any instabilities, at least
> not more than with WX25.

French version released update monthly , while English version none ,not even a pre- released. people paid for 2 months , not even getting the product . if this is not fraud then what do you call this
April 02, 2021 11:56AM
Hi CC2,
You "sound" very angry smiling smiley
I purchased WX26 a few weeks ago and was informed that the English version will be available in mid-April.
They asked me if I wanted to work with the French version (it has an English toggle), I said yes, and they sent me info to upgrade my dongle(s).
Other than missing English examples, everything else works in English (except some error messages).
As for its stability, I can't give you an informed opinion yet ...
But WX25 is quite stable here ...

Regards
Steven Sitas
April 02, 2021 01:03PM
Hi ccc, please, cool down!

you bought the software and PC Soft guarantees for nothing. You won't get back any money. And why at all, you will buy the English version anyway. A little later, no doubt, I think it will be May until the English version is available. Currently, we have a full lockdown in France until April 10th.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
ccc2
April 02, 2021 04:17PM
gpredl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi ccc, please, cool down!
>
> you bought the software and PC Soft guarantees for
> nothing. You won't get back any money. And why at
> all, you will buy the English version anyway. A
> little later, no doubt, I think it will be May
> until the English version is available. Currently,
> we have a full lockdown in France until April
> 10th.

why I buy english version ? check the english website

whether i will get money back or not, check the invoice
ccc2
April 02, 2021 05:43PM
one thing bother me. PCS should know in legal they need delivered the product they sell after payment . this is why every year we see per-released version to fulfilled legal part in transaction) . why aren't they this year ? even if they released buggy per-released , all they get is people bitching about this and that (which is not first time) .

because lock down ? how to explain the website , french version (monthly update ) , windev online help (english) is updated, payment processed .

if i going ask refund, I will get my lawyer to do.
April 02, 2021 05:55PM
Hi, do whatever you want to do. You will get your English version, you can use the French one and switch it to English meanwhile. The plan is clearly to have a single version for three most used languages on the planet. If you did not recognize it, there is a pandemia and things are delayed a bit. However, a warning: be careful, in the past PC Soft has chosen not to do any business anymore with unpleasant partners.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
April 16, 2021 12:59PM
Hi Guenter

You wrote:

If you did not recognize it, there is a pandemia and things are delayed a bit. However, a warning: be careful, in the past PC Soft has chosen not to do any business anymore with unpleasant partners.

I have to agree with you. I cannot understand how in this day and age anyone can accept software houses to operate the way someone selling a pair of underpants needs to. By its very nature software is unpredictable and time lines can be messed up. It is all about intention and I have 100% confident that Montpelier has nothing but good intentions.

There are some very angry people in the world and some of them live among us. It is what it is. As for lawyers - do not get me started on them.

The only beef I have with PCSoft is their support model. If you do not use the latest version to send a request for support they tell you they cannot help you. It is not always possible to be on the latest version, especially with WebDev. They do not seem to understand that. Production software always lags software that you are bringing up to the latest version. And there may be issues with the earlier version that you need help with. This is a serious issue that they have. But they will not listen.

Cheers
André
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.