Deploying and distributing an application.
February 20, 2021 12:12PM
Hi,

I have 2 questions about this. It is probably easy to solve, but I cannot resolve it.
1. I have the “Generate the 32-bit Windows executable” and then
2. Create set-up procedure performed.
The following files / folders are formed:
- INSTALL folder
- Zip INSTALL and
- Application INSTALL

Are the 3 folders / files above that I have to distribute to my customer?
I installed this on a Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) and ran the INSTALL.exe there. Until here, everything is ok.

My questions :
1. When I run the icon placed on the Desktop, I get the message “Application launched for the first time. The required elements will be downloaded (WINDEV framework). When I press OK, the following message appears “Unable to find wd250vm.dll. Check whether DLLs used to operate the executable can be accessed by PATH. I press OK and the process stops.
2. When I modify the original program and then redistribute it, how do I avoid overwriting the fic, ndx and mmo files at my client?

I have already invested a lot of time in this case, but I cannot find a solution to my questions.

Thanks in advance.

regards

Michel
Argus
Re: Deploying and distributing an application.
February 20, 2021 01:33PM
>
> Are the 3 folders / files above that I have to
> distribute to my customer?

You can, but that's not very practical... I prefer to choose the option to create a self extractible executable... all that you list above is therefore in ONE file easy to download. It's an option during the install creation.

> I installed this on a Virtual Machine (Hyper-V)
> and ran the INSTALL.exe there. Until here,
> everything is ok.
>
> My questions :
> 1. When I run the icon placed on the Desktop, I
> get the message “Application launched for the
> first time. The required elements will be
> downloaded (WINDEV framework). When I press OK,

That's because you CHOSE NOT to include the framework in your install, which I think is a mistake. It's again much easier to have everything needed IN the install.

> 2. When I modify the original program and then
> redistribute it, how do I avoid overwriting the
> fic, ndx and mmo files at my client?

Personally, I do NOT include ANY direct data files in the installer. Instead, -IF- I need FILLED (empty files can be created when first used) data files to start with, which is quite rare, I choose one of the following options:
- Include a ZIP files with everything I need in the installer... Check if ifrst run (flag in ini file, by example, or DB files are empty), and if it's the case, extract the zip content.

-OR-
- Check if first run, and if it's the case DOWNLOAD what is needed from the web. I prefer that solution as it allows me to improve the content of the files without having to create a new installer.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.