Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WDM25] - Developing a mobile app

Posted by JP 
JP
[WDM25] - Developing a mobile app
December 02, 2020 11:17AM
Hi Allnot

I need to develop my first basic mobile app. Never done it before. Would anyone be willing to layout the basic steps involved and any things to be alerted to so that I can avoid the common pitfalls and not re-invent the wheel smiling smiley

Thanks
Al
Re: [WDM25] - Developing a mobile app
December 02, 2020 06:43PM
Hello JP

Fabrice posted all his Windev lessons from 2007 onto YouTube

This one is Mobile Basics
[www.youtube.com]

It may give you some direction.

Regards
Al
December 04, 2020 12:50PM
Hi JP,

my 2 cents

Start with Android which is pretty straight forward, more or less like writing a desktop app.
With iOS you get the hassle of setting up a macbook to generate your app and need a developer account and so on.

Try a few WM examples, make some changes and see if they make it to the actual device.

A lot of stuff can be tested in the WM Simulator, which is pretty fast to fire up (like doing desktop apps). The Android emulator is slow, but is more close to an acutal device.

Always test your app on actual devices, every now and then (and of course before deploying it to your users), the simulator/emulator isn't 100%, but comes close for most of the stuff.

Arie
JP
December 04, 2020 02:14PM
Thanks Arie.

Do I understand you correctly that for iOS apps I need to buy a MacBook in order to do something on it in order to submit the iOS app to the Apple app store?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2020 02:14PM by JP.
December 04, 2020 03:13PM
JP,

yes, not only for submitting to the appstore, also for compiling and generating the app in the first place.
Mac-mini is also an option but slower and some people use a vmware solution to run MacOS (which is not legal afaik...).

You also need a developer account 99 USD per year.

And if the app is not free for your customers, Apple will benefit again. So now you know why Apple is worth over $2 trillion ...

Arie
JP
December 04, 2020 03:56PM
Arie,

Thanks. Wonderful news smiling smiley

Yes, our app will be free but might have a subscription level - I dont know right now.

Does Android app store have the same craziness? Or can we do it all on Windows?
December 04, 2020 04:50PM
For Android you need a (java) SDK , but that's all on Windows.
WM will guide you through the installation proces on first use.

For testing, you can install the app on your phone/tablet by connecting it to USB.
When you have a webserver, you could also put the APK (installation file) there. Then using the devices browser, suimply download and "run" it,, after which it will be istalled.

Google also wants you to have a developer account, but it's a one time fee $25.

Arie
December 04, 2020 06:29PM
Hi,
just one more info.

Testing your app on IOS devices is much much faster than Android and doesn’t require Mac computer.
Simply install WMDev application from App Store on your IOS device and you are good to go.

For publishing on App Store you will need MacOS computer and subscription.

BR,
Alen
December 04, 2020 06:33PM
Greeting

On Google Play, you can set up an app that was done at least in WM25. I worked at WM 24 and failed to post on Google Play

[infosonline.net]
JP
December 05, 2020 07:18AM
Thanks Infos, Alen, Arie,

Very useful information. Thanks very much smiling smiley

JP
JP
December 07, 2020 09:44AM
HI All

Is it normal for the creation of the APK, and even the running of a test on the device, to take so long to start? It seems a very long time that the Gradle takes to setup and finish. Is it normal or is my laptop just slow smiling smiley

I am running the 32bit version of WinDev Mobile 25 but I cannot imagine that makes so much difference?

TIA
December 09, 2020 10:35PM
Hi,
yes it takes time and if you buliding IOS and Android app then switch to IOS device for testing via WMDEV, it is much faster.

If you have antivirus (windows defender included) try to disable it or set exclusions on all PC Soft folders, your project folder and temp folder.

Also generation of apk is quite processor dependent, so the newer is better smiling smiley

Hope it helps.

BR,
Alen
JP
December 10, 2020 06:47AM
Thanks Alen, good info. Making progress smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2020 06:48AM by JP.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.