Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WD23] Cannot send email from a Windows XP machine

Posted by Ola 
Ola
[WD23] Cannot send email from a Windows XP machine
November 03, 2020 03:03PM
HI all,

For some reason I cannot send email from a Windows XP machine. I've tried a lot of methods, secure, non-secure, with email variable and email structure, all possible setting that I can think of.

Win 7 and Win 10 cause no problems. And I can send emails with Pegasus email client from Win XP.

Am I trying to do something too difficult for WD, or am I missing something, as usual? is there a way to do this? How?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Ola
pao
Re: [WD23] Cannot send email from a Windows XP machine
November 03, 2020 04:25PM
If it works with pegasus email client what are the SMTP settings used in tihs case?

When using optionSSL or emailOptionSecuredTLS EmailConfigure(emailParameterMode, 1) is your friend in some situations.

Regards

Paulo Oliveira
Ola
November 04, 2020 04:21PM
Hello Paolo,

Thank you for your message.

My Pegasus setting for SMTP are as follows:

Same server host as in my ERP
Login user = the account's email address
Login password is used

Securing method = SSL
Port = 465
TimeOut = 15 sec.
Recipient address is entered manually.

This works fluently in WinXP, Win7 and Win10.

-------------------------------------------------
The SMTP-settings for the default email account in my ERP are as follows:

Same server host as in Pegasus
Login user = the account's email address
Login password is used

Securing method = SSL
Port = 465
TimeOut = 20 sec.
Recipient address is read from a file field (so it can't be bad).

In my Email variable:
MyEmail.Sender = the account's email address
MyEmail.SenderAddress = the account's email address

These work without any hickups in Win7 and Win10,
but in WinXP I get the following error message (same recipient as used for testing in 7 and 10):

-------------------------------------------------------
Email account maintenance, test sending
-------------------------------------------------------
Send_Email: Email sending failed.
--------------------------------------------------------

Unable to send message.

Check the recipient addresses as well as your account settings (sender address).

Failure may be caused by a technical problem.

Four successive attempts have been made. Problem Details:

- First Attempt:

Failure sending recipients.
The last response of SMTP server is:
<451-Please deliver mail to the address specified in the MX records for this
451 domain.
>
- Second Attempt:

Content of Email.Sender not recognized by server. Transaction denied.
<503 sender already given
>
essai2
- Third Attempt:
>
- Fourth Attempt:
>

------------------------------------------------

Best regards
Ola

P.S. There are no problems when receiving emails in either of the email clients,
nor in any of three OS's I have in my testing machines.
I am using the new email variable, not the old email structure,
both when sending and receiving.
pao
November 04, 2020 04:37PM
I don't have any XP to test anymore, so i'm answering only by memory.
Did you try using EmailConfigure(emailParameterMode, 1) before sending the email, as far as i remember it helps in some situations when using encrypted connections to the SMTP server.

Regards

Paulo Oliveira
Ola
November 04, 2020 05:18PM
Hi Paolo,

I will try using EmailConfigure( emailParameterMode, 1).
But the I have also tested sending without any security, and the result is the same.

Best regards
Ola
pao
November 04, 2020 06:16PM
I don't know if tihs is stupid or not but did you try with the old structure in the case of XP?
Most probably the new functions are not tested in XP anymore.

Regards

Paulo Oliveira
Ola
November 04, 2020 06:50PM
Hi Paolo,

Nothing is stupid when trying to find a bug in WDspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Yes, I did try the old structure. Actually my emailing processes used exclusively the structure until last summer. The fact that XP sending did not work, was one of the reasons I rebuilt a complete new email client using the email variable only. It did help in some other problems, but not this.

Best regards
Ola
November 05, 2020 04:26PM
Hi Ola

Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft since April 8th 2014 and Microsoft is no longer providing security updates and patches for it since... I don't think it is wise to still have an XP machine hooked up to the internet.

How can you support a solution on a platform that itself is no longer supported for more than 6 years?

Just my 2 cents

Peter
Ola
November 05, 2020 09:31PM
Hi Peter,

You talk like a PC salesmansmiling smiley

I think XPs are still quite good computers for use as office tools. They have no bugs that annoy me. They are no longer being updated, which means they start up pretty fast even without an SSD disk and they are always ready to use. With "weaker" components and less memory they are as fast as, or maybe even faster than, newer machines with much better components.

XPs are as safe as any newer computer, that is, they are as safe as their users, especially if they are behind a hardware firewall.

They have only a couple of shortcomings; they have no support for USB3 = slow copying to/from external media, and no support for SSD disks.

There are still many specialty applications that are no longer updated and simply cannot be replaced, which work (properly) only in XP's (or older).

I do not recommend XP for "free" internet surfing, though. But if it is (only) used for surfing, and not as a storage for your most important data, and not in a LAN, then what's the big loss, if it gets "contaminated"?

Oh yes, and one more thing: a 10 year old XP has earned its price many years ago, and is today very cheap!

In Windev I have noticed only a couple of drawbacks, as far as XPs is concerned: The PDF reader is not supported (and this is mentioned in the documentation), and there seems to be a problem when sending emails (not mentioned in documentation).

Windows 7 has also lost its support from Microsoft. Should we scrap all Win7 machines, too?

Best regards
Ola
November 29, 2020 12:27PM
I've a simimar problem.

I use several virtual XP pc's via virtual box. They are only for testing software.

I've build a small network and I want to send emails from a windev app tot another windev app.

On my physical pc's it works fine.

On my virtual XP machines there is an smtp error
SMTP Session: connection failed. No server respons.
System error detected by WLanguage security mechanism
System error details : The message received was unexpected or badley formated.

The internet is working on the virtal pc's
They have an ip adress like the fysical machines.

Is there a cure for this problem.

Thanks,
Willy Hermans
December 26, 2020 02:28AM
I believe that PC Soft develops the low level of Windev using the Microsoft C++ compiler. This means that to support newer features of the Microsoft operating system they have to use newer versions of the Windows API. Since Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP, it is quite likely that as time goes by they will remove or modify the Windows XP era APIs fin their compilers. This will mean that products built using their toolkit, such as Windev, will also not support more and more XP features.

The only suggestion I can find is that if you want to support XP, you may need to run an older version of Windev on a Windows 7 PC so that the compiled program is compatible. Of course, that means two version of your program, compiled on two different computers and with no access to newer features of Windev on the version compiled on the older hardware.

When Microsoft stops support for an OS it means more than not getting security patches. For example Hyper-V on Window 10 no longer will run XP (although some users have found some unsupported workarounds). And eventually they remove features or modify features in their compiler tool chain in such a way that those features no longer work on XP. This will happen more and more with Windows 7 over then next few years as well.

Here is the text of a Google translated message on PC Soft's French language blog:

An executable compiled with WINDEV 25 can be started on Windows 7 to 10 systems. If the launch is done on a computer equipped with an older version of Windows, such as Windows XP, the following message is displayed:

This version of Windows is too old
Contact the application provider

This message can however appear on a Windows 7 or 10 computer, if the executable was mistakenly configured to run in Windows XP compatibility mode. In order to allow execution in this case, all you have to do is uncheck "Run this program in compatibility mode" in the Windows properties of the executable:

If the computer is really under Windows XP, you must provide the executable compiled with a version of WINDEV prior to 25. Remember that support for Windows XP has been stopped ... since April 2014. In version 22 of WINDEV (December 2016 ) XP support had been removed. It has been temporarily restored from version Update 1 of WINDEV 22, up to version Update 4 of WINDEV 24 .

[blogs.pcsoft.fr]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2020 02:45AM by dmontaine.
Ola
December 29, 2020 05:46PM
Thank you dmontaine

That's a good explanation. I can now stop hitting my head against the brick wall...

Ola
jose antonio
January 10, 2021 01:47AM
Hi Ola.

Maybe you client misstyped his own email address?

Hi did have a similar problem in Microsoft Outlook.
Some email providers will throw that kind of erros if the reported "Sender Address" it's not correct.

Regards,
José Antonio Garrido.
Ola
January 10, 2021 06:19PM
Hi José

I find it hard to think of this problem as any other than an XP + WD problem.

The same WD client that systematically fails to send any and all emails in XP, has no problems sending the same messages in WIn 7 or 10.

Also Pegasus email client sends messages problem-free in all windows versions, XP included.

Best regards
Ola
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.