Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Single User - Single Machine Restriction

Posted by sivakrith 
November 01, 2020 03:26AM
Hello,

Using Windev 22

I want to restrict my users to restrict Windev applications to be used only from the computer where this application is installed. Say if the application is installed in computer1, the user should not be able to operate it from computer2, either by mapping computer1's drive or by Remote Desktop.

Is it possible to implement such a restriction?

Happiness Always
BKR Sivaprakash

Edit: I'm planning to distribute this application in a pendrive. so storing the computer name at installation point is not possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 03:37AM by sivakrith.
November 01, 2020 11:25AM
Hi,

you can restrict access to the database files by HMode(..)

Example HMode("*", HModeMono) // restriction to a single computer accessing all files of the database.

HMode("*", HModeMulti) // Multi-User

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
November 01, 2020 06:51PM
Hi,
you can save “computername” environment variable in ini file encrypted so end user cannot change it, then check current computername variable is same as one in ini file.
Next thing is disable multiple start of application (option is set when you generate exe)
Check environment variable “clientname” and if exist then user is using remote desktop services.
There are other remote options and in that case only you can do is check current processes and if you find for instance “teamviewer.exe” you can end application.

BR,
Alen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 06:52PM by slxslx.
November 02, 2020 04:19AM
Guenter

Not sure whether HMode will allow to run multi instance of the applications .. Will try

Alen
1. Stoing of computer name is ruled out, as this application could be run from any computer [ application distributed in a pen drive ]
2. Multi instance settings while compiling. I want it to be multi instance, from the same computer.
3. Clinetname... will check.

Thanks for your inputs.
November 02, 2020 04:39PM
Hi Sivaprakash,
in your first post you did’n say anything about pendrive and now I have too much questions.:-)

Please describe your problem in details.

BR,
Alen

I
November 03, 2020 08:38AM
Alen,

In my first post itself I've mentioned that this program is going to be distributed in Pen drive. Please check the Edit Message that I've posted, at the bottom. I edited my first post, after few minutes. Chances are there that you might have read without my edit.

My requirement is:
1, Windev application will be distributed in a pendrive. Users can use it in any computers they wish.
2. Multi-instance should be possible, when used from the same computer.
3. Should prevent, all possible, accessing of this application from other computers than the computer where the pen drive is plugged.
November 03, 2020 10:19AM
Hi Sivakrith,

most people don't know that the identifier of a memory stick is unique! Therefore, you could use your pen drive like a dongle! Usually, the stick's serial number is to be read only from the same computer. You could write the stick's serial# into the program's exe file and compare from there or you could write the serial# into an encrypted file and store on the dongle.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
November 03, 2020 05:43PM
Hi,
you can use fDriveInfo to find out serial number.

BR,
Alen
Ola
November 04, 2020 07:18PM
Hi all,

The identifier of a memory stick is unique only in some makes/types of sticks! So check. First buy a couple and make sure they have different Ids. Then stick to the tested stick type.

Best regards
Ola
November 05, 2020 12:39PM
Thanks Guenter Predl,

Yes, storing the serial number in an encrypted file and checking it gave the solution. With my limited testing, I could not open the application from another computer. I'll do some extensive testing and let u know. Hope this solves this issue.

Ola
If serial number duplicate is possible, then the user need to have two identical serial numbered pen drive in both the systems, one supplied with the application, and the other they procure in the market. I think it's a rare possibility.

Happiness Always
BKR Sivaprakash
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.