Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WD23] How to make links in emails functional? [Solved]

Posted by Ola 
Ola
[WD23] How to make links in emails functional? [Solved]
September 21, 2020 02:18PM
Hi all,

I haven't been able to "connect the dots" so that I could make the links (for instance to email addresses and web sites) in incoming emails functional. So I would like know how it is done in WD. What's the trick?

Best regards
Ola

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2020 03:19PM by Ola.
Ola
Re: [WD23] How to make links in emails functional?
September 28, 2020 02:58PM
Is this really a "Mission Impossible"?confused smiley

Ola
Argus
September 28, 2020 04:31PM
depends:
- if email is html, then it's just a question of coding the appropriate html link and any html web site will give you the syntax
- if email is text, then the only thing you can do is to make sure that the syntax is correct (http://xxxx and not just the xxx by example). At this point, it is up to the email client to make the link active or not... For security reason, some will not.
Ola
September 28, 2020 08:51PM
Hi Argus,

Thank you for the answer.
I understand your answer is for preparing an outgoing email. But that is not the problem.
I am wondering how I could activate the links in the incoming emails, imported by my own email client, based on the Windev email variable. There often are properly coded links, but they do not work as links.

Best regards
Ola
Argus
September 29, 2020 02:54PM
Haaaaa....

AFAIK, there is no automatic system for that, but that does not mean it's impossible...
You can code it yourself the following way:
1. analyse the message to find the links (based on the syntax in html or plaintext (https:// or mailto:... or...)
2. once you have the links, display them differently (active) using the usual gxxx functions (or outside of the text as a list of available links, color coded for possible danger, etc)
3. if your links are in a list, it's easy to do something when selected, if they are inside the text, you need to detect double clicks on your field, find WHERE the click occurs to identify the link, then do the necessary code to use it
Ola
September 29, 2020 06:12PM
Hi Argus,

Thanks again. So it seems there is no easy way to do this in Windev. Maybe I'll just accept, for the time being, the fact, that for "safety purposes" the links are not operational. If a user really wants to use the links in an email, he can always turn the plain text display on, copy the link address and enter it manually in a browser.

But it would be nice to have such a property in an html control, to be able to turn the activity of the links on/off.

Best regards
Ola
Ola
October 11, 2020 03:18PM
Hi again!

I was again wrestling with the HTML field of my email reading window.

The window has the plain text and html text fields are on plane #1, on top of each other, attachments are in a table on plane #2, free notes are on plane #3. The text fields can be interchanged with a button (visible,active/invisible,inactive). HTML is the default, if there is data. In this setup the links in the HTML text field did not work; they were highlighted or underlined, but they did not work.

Now I added another HTML field on plane #4 in the email reading window. And lo and behold: all the links in the new field were active and fully operational!

Then I deleted the original HTML control from plane #1 and changed the new field's plane to #1. Guess what: now the links don't work any more!

So, obviously the culprit was not in the original HTML control, it was in the plane #1! The window is defective! I have to rebuild it.

This is not the first time a window has turned out to be defective; it has happened a few times with my WD23. These are very time consuming bugs, not only to fix, but most of all, to find. Especially in this case, as I thought that the links are not supposed to work at all! Certainly slows the development speed down to below 10 times faster...

Best regards
Ola
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.