Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WDMSG23] How to export/import analysis item texts?

Posted by Ola 
Ola
[WDMSG23] How to export/import analysis item texts?
June 09, 2020 02:45PM
Hi all,

I've finally got some time to play around with WDMSG23 and WDINT23, and to my great surprise, I cannot extract the item names, tooltips etc. out from the analysis with either of them. And I even RTFM! Maybe I am missing something? Anybody have a clue?

best regards
Ola
Re: [WDMSG23] How to export/import analysis item texts?
June 09, 2020 09:20PM
You can print the project file in pdf.
It contains your analysis.
You can then translate what you want
Ola
June 10, 2020 09:36AM
Thanks for the hint.
But how do I then get the translated texts back in the analysis?
I would not want to do it manually item by item.
June 10, 2020 04:11PM
The only thing you can do in your database is
[help.windev.com]
But look
HInfoAnalysis
HListItem
And StringBuild
Ola
June 10, 2020 07:53PM
Thanks Popoy,

But none of those have any effect to the basic problem, which is extracting the texts out from one "language slot" in the analysis, say Finnish, for translation, say to Estonian, and then returning the translated texts back to a new Estonian "language slot" in the analysis. The texts should retain their place references during this process.

This kind of process is currently possible, at (a too high) extra price, with WDInt with the Windev framework errors and messages, and with WDMsg with the controls, errors and messages of the user interface of an app. But neither of these tools can reach the texts in the analysis.

So it seems that currently the translation of the analysis texts has to be done manually, item by item, in situ. It's like going to forestry work with a dry chain-saw, without gas! It's an overwhelming project, if there are thousands of items in the analysis. And if you would like to hire an extra hand to do that, you would have to buy an extra WX license!

Now, if I am translating an old, more or less "ready" app, I don't really need to translate the analysis texts, but if I am building a new app, then it would be extremely advantageous and effective to include all the necessary languages in the analysis, and translate them all before adding the items to new windows and reports.

This is again just another example of the half-baked features of WX products.

Best regards
Ola
June 10, 2020 08:11PM
I too am disappointed
I have wdmsg and since version 23 there is the framework in Spanish but wdint cannot extract this language.
And this is just one example.
Ola
June 11, 2020 01:33PM
And the most rediculous thing about these half-baked translation tools is that you will have to re-buy them with every version. This is outright legalized high-way robbery, because there has been practically no development in them in decades! Oh, I forgot one development: the istruction booklet of version 23 finally has 4-color covers!
Al
June 11, 2020 03:05PM
Hello Ola

I do appreciate your angst - I have a special place on my office wall to bang my head against for some of PCSoft's inexplicable ways - but then I balance that against all the amazing things that this crazy tool - Windev - can do for us and on balance we are ahead by miles smiling smiley

It looks like you will have to roll your own and create a data file with a list of control names with associated caption names and tooltips for each language.
Have a look at the old groupware functions for some routines to go through all the windows and extract the control names.

I had a feeling that there was a way to get access to the notes or the tool tip attached to each field in the analysis but I can't find anything - maybe in the old forum ?

Regards
Al
Ola
June 11, 2020 06:03PM
Hi Al,

Thanks for your sympathy! I fully agree with you; Windev is a good tool, actually the best for Windows-development. Otherwise I wouldn't be using it. The unfortunate thing is that it lacks so little to be a perfect tool. And the deficiences are such that they disturb me practically every day. Many new features are started and and almost as many remain unfinished for ever. Maybe it's a French thing? It's a bit like a current nuclear plant site being built in Finland with some French EPR technologies and software (Windevspinning smiley sticking its tongue out?). It was supposed to be ready in May 2009, but the French just can't get their part finished and useable. Enough whining. I'll go now and lay some ballast on my new tracks...

Best regards
Ola
June 12, 2020 07:31AM
Ola, look gris code
[doc.windev.com]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.