Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WD23] How to control a combo box style?!?!?

Posted by Ola 
Ola
[WD23] How to control a combo box style?!?!?
May 24, 2020 01:09PM
Hi all,

I am using the "Elegant" skin template for my app in WD23. I am experiencing only problems, when trying to control the style of my comboboxes, some of which are inherited all the way from version 5.5 with some other skin template of that time. The selected style just doesn't stay, and may change to whatever. If I select different styles in turn, finally I may be able to keep the one last selected. But when I run the app, the combobox style may again be different.

And of course the "control style copying brush"-tool does not work. And if I drag a combobox item from the analysis to a window, its style will be the result of a lottery. If I copy an existing combobox and change everything inside it, the style may also be different!

Basically I am trying to make all the backgrounds of my comboboxes white, so that the text would be easier to read than on a grey background, but it seems hopeless. Now some of them are grey and some are white. Maybe I am missing something? Any hints and tips are wellcome.

Best regards
Ola

P.S. Its the little "features" like this that make the marketing slogan "Develop 10 times faster" sound like the best joke of the millennium...
Al
Re: [WD23] How to control a combo box style?!?!?
May 25, 2020 12:24PM
Hello

Hello Ola

I have never mastered or seen the need for using the skin templates. Indeed one discerning client remarked that the design skills I display in my apps bring back memories of DOS for him.

I just use the insert option to create the combo box and then use the style option to select a style from those already in use on the project
I have never created a combo box by dragging a field from the analysis because almost all the fields I present to the user as a combo boxes are actually 8byte numeric fields as they are invariably filled with Description + Glink(primarykey) from a master description data file so I can't say if that has any effect on the creation of the style.

Regards
Al
Ola
Re: [WD23] How to control a combo box style?!?!?
May 25, 2020 04:34PM
Hello Al,

Thanks again for your experiences!

I have similar experiences re customer opinions; one said that my app looks "old fashioned".smileys with beer
I replied that yes, that's what it really is, a really old fashioned ADP app, with weight on "A", automatic; you just press a button, and the app does your job - and often you don't even have to press a button!cool smiley.

My current problem is partly solved. I noticed that the random style displayed in the combos was depending on whether there has been any selection or not. If no selection yet, then they are white, but when selected, they are grey. Still, I can't make them white all the time, but I can live with this.

Actually all this was because of the "old fashion" being just a bit too old; I am replacing the last 0/1-settings in my main parameter file with check boxes and combossmiling smiley

Best regards
Ola
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.