Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WD24 - Hpass

Posted by AadG 
WD24 - Hpass
April 22, 2020 09:37AM
When I encrypt a file I need to code HPass(File,"Password") in my code, so the password can be read by someone that has access to the code.
Is there a way to hide this, so a file is "really" protected.

Thanx for any help.

Regards,

Aad
Re: WD24 - Hpass
April 22, 2020 09:40AM
Let the password be an input field, and those want to Password protect it, can enter the password and protect it. This way no one, even the coder knows the password that will be set by the end-user.

HTH
April 22, 2020 09:45AM
Hi sivakrith,

I have 20 users on this files so that's no way to go. Users are not aloud to know the password, because it can be leaked.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Regards,

Aad
April 22, 2020 09:55AM
Anything we do in code could be read by those who have access to that part of the code.

The other way could be to develop a separate internal component, which does the necessary things like setting the password and opening the files etc. You can keep the component part securely.
April 24, 2020 11:19AM
Hi Aad,

there are encrypt / uncrypt. Do an encrypt outside the program, just to have the encrypted password string as a text. Put this one into the program as a constant like YourString is Ansi string = "&%GhatQQ". Then HPass(YourFileName, Uncrypt(YourString, MyCompanyName, cryptRC516, encodePCS))

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
April 24, 2020 11:43AM
Hi Guenter,

Thanks for this option. I will look into it.

Best regards,

Aad
Argus
April 24, 2020 04:32PM
You are trying to prevent other developers working on your project to know the files password, and therefore be able to access your customers data...

If that is the case, then all the solutions above have the consequence of preventing your developers to use external tool (wdmap, hfcontrolcenter) to verify what's happening in the files...

Instead, I would suggest the following:

1. do not use customer data for your developers, but instead have a test DB containing only non confidential data
2. place the password, ENCRYPTED inside an ini file (or equivalent)... THIS WILL ALLOW YOU TO HAVE A DIFFERENT PASSWORD in development and in production... In your program use the decrypt method descibed above by Guenter.
3. give the password of the development database to your extra developers so that they can debug using all the tools, but only on the dev DB
4. create a small external tools to create the encrypted password/ini file and give the production version to whomever is in charge of crfeating the exe/installer
5. make sure that this production ini file is installed WITH the EXE.

You are the only one who can access the production DBs...

You can even, if necessary, have a different DB password per customer.
April 24, 2020 05:00PM
Hi Argus,

Thank you for your response. The reason for this is, that the files are on VPS's. They can be hacked and privacy data wil be available for the bad guys. We, as hosters, are responsable for this data en will be prosecuted in case of data leakage (Dutch law AVG).
That's the only reason that we want to scramble the files. It sounds silly and most of the time it won't happen, but we have to prove to our customers that their data is dafe,

Best regards,

Aad

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2020 05:04PM by AadG.
Argus
April 24, 2020 08:07PM
WHERE you files are has no bearing on the way you manage the file passwords in the SOURCES of your application.
If that is your only concern and you do not want to hide the password from the developpers, then Guenter's solution is enough.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.