Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SFTP

Posted by ewiegert 
SFTP
September 16, 2019 11:33PM
Hello All

I have been using sftp connection in an app for a few years without issue.

I have recently been asked by the organization that I'm connecting to via sftp to ensure that the encryption cipher utilized is aes256-ctr or aes192-ctr or aes128-ctr as they will be discontinuing aes128-cbc, aes192-cbc, aes256-cbc.

The help article titled "Handling files on an FTP server" indicates that "The following symmetric encryption algorithms are supported: 3DES, Blowfish, AES and APRCFOUR. "

Since my app initiates the connection I can limit the available encryption ciphers to the server.

Does anyone know how to set these, the help doesn't indicate how to specify alternate ciphers or to find out what is the current list.

Thanks

Eric
Re: SFTP
September 17, 2019 07:31AM
Hi,

[help.windev.com]

they're using implicit encryption, either SSH or SSL.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
pao
September 17, 2019 05:11PM
I don't know what is the list of ciphers and the order for the ftpconnect command but if the ciphers are removed from the server it can't be used by the client software.
If they remove the ciphers from the sftp server and leave only the supported ones the only thing you have to test is if you can connect or not.

Usually in SFTP algorithms are negotiated during the handshake. Both client and server exchange their supported algorithms ordered by preference and both the client and the server pick the first algorithms supported by both, ordered by client preference.

Regards

Paulo Oliveira
September 17, 2019 06:39PM
Thanks Guenter & Paulo

Paulo I ended up setting up an internal sftp server and as you indicated and limited it to just the desired ciphers.

Windev connected using the aes128-ctr which was one of the desired ciphers.

I haven't tested limiting the internal sftp server even more but at least I'm not faced with incorporating an outside sftp client for now.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post.

Eric
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.