Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

webservice (soap / rest) with heavy load

Posted by stefan.kern 
stefan.kern
webservice (soap / rest) with heavy load
September 14, 2019 02:13PM
Hi Forum,

I have a request from a customer to develop an App for iOS and Android.
The app itself must be good looking, but is not to complicated.

There needs to be a back end database on a webserver, which I want to consume using a Soap or rest based webservice.

The customer expects more than 1 Million users of the app !

I wonder if a WX webservice would be a good choice for such a heavy load.

I am aware that we Need a good database design, and a very god Performance orientated coding of the back end, but I am a bit afreight if the WB application Server can handle such a Project.

Does anybody can share experiences??

Thanks for your help

Stefan.
Re: webservice (soap / rest) with heavy load
September 15, 2019 12:31AM
Hi Stefan

>>I have a request from a customer to develop an App for iOS and Android.
>>The app itself must be good looking, but is not to complicated.

Good looking is subjective. But in my experience WDM will give you as good looking an app as any. Make sure that whoever is deciding on the look is involved in the design.

>>There needs to be a back end database on a webserver, which I want to consume using a Soap or rest based webservice.

That will work - we do SOAP with not so much as a hiccup.

>>The customer expects more than 1 Million users of the app !

That is meaningless - how many simultaneous requests to the service? We sustain 200 with not so much as a hiccup and each lasts picoseconds. So in a minute you can service tens of thousands of requests. It is critical to ascertain what the probable simultaneous connection load would be. The nature of the app will determine that.

>>I wonder if a WX webservice would be a good choice for such a heavy load.

I do not see why not with the right hardware and perhaps some load balancing. The bottleneck in my view would be the connection to the service and the data access it has to execute.

>>I am aware that we Need a good database design, and a very god Performance orientated coding of the back end, but I am a bit afreight if >>the WB application Server can handle such a Project.

I have never stretched the WAS to the extent of 1 million users but I do not expect 1 million users to all be accessing the data simultaneously. Some of our sites have thousands of users.

>>Does anybody can share experiences??

As above - you can only try mate - it is so easy and quick to get something up and running with WDM - just cobble together a prototype and throw it at the masses out there and watch what happens. The choice of database and hardware used will be important.

Cheers
André
stefan
September 15, 2019 04:02PM
Hi Andre,

txs for your Reply.
I already use SOAP Services in other Projects, and never had Problems.

You gave me a good hint, 1 Mio users does not mean, 1 Mio congruent.
Of course there is the question wheather the customer gets one Mio users, but 1 Mio users is mentioned in the specification sheet.

I wonder wheather there are Service Provider which offer stress Tests for SOAP Services.

Regards

Stefan.
ccc2
September 23, 2019 02:22PM
I recommend that you use NODEJS to create your own REST webservice .

in term of speed, NodeJS is the best and will give you flexibility to change how data transfer .

I using in a pet project which run on Linux with mariadb Database to serve my web and android application (mainly web).

I'm very surprise that the system still running today because the linux server is running on i5 machine with 4gb ram 1 tb HDD.

No SSL ( slow and increase size of transfer data) , but I encrypt the data using AES128

the Database Grow to 15GB within 3 years.

Beware. anSynchronize programming in nodejs can give you big headache .

to improve speed you can do muti threading & clustering
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.