Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WebService question

Posted by Jeff Graham 
WebService question
August 20, 2019 04:42AM
I am trying to install a WebService on a client's computer. I have installed the 10 user WB 23 version and Apache 2.4. The WD Admin shows no errors but I don't get a response when I test externally. The tests on the server work ok.. Port 4900 is open as I use SCM through that port.

Do I have to have port 80 open also? Or do I have to listen on 4900? I don't want to provide any web access except for the WebService.

The request works on my development servers but they also have port 80 open.

The error I get is as follows:
System error sending HTTP request.

Error code: 100138
Level: non-fatal error

System error message:
Reception failed: problem reading on socket.
Dump of the error of 'wd230com.dll' module (23.0.43.0).
Additional Information:
EIT_PILEWL :
Click BTN_Check_Server (WIN_Settings.BTN_Check_Server), line 1
EIT_DATEHEURE : 19/08/2019 19:37:37
EIT_TYPE_WDFILE : <2>
EIT_IDCODE : <18>

Jeff Graham
Cascade Consulting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2019 05:50AM by Jeff Graham.
Re: WebService question
August 20, 2019 06:46AM
Hi Jeff, all Web Services are using port 80, the HTTP-port.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
August 20, 2019 06:40PM
Thanks, Guenter. However, the technical guru for my client will not open port 80. Is there a way to send HTTP requests to a different port?
August 20, 2019 09:57PM
Hi Jeff, this guy is an *?x§$& - and no, imho there is no way to change the http port because it is regarded as the most safest port of the 65000 others anyway.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
stefan.kern
August 20, 2019 11:22PM
Hi Jeff,

I think it is possible to change the port. I do not know Apache, but in IIS under the "Bindings" menu can choose a port for each site, and the service is a site for IIS.
You do the same if you choose port 443 (https) for a webservice.

Of course you have adapt the clients, in WX it is the ..adress property of the service the clients use.

But I agree, the admin is a !"§$%&/ .
Webservices use 80 or 443, that is standard.

Stefan.
August 20, 2019 11:23PM
Hi Guenter,
Thanks for the clarification. After more discussion, his concern is more with the old router at the client's location, not the use of port 80 only. He is recommending a new router and VPN type connection so that only the employees can get through.

Thnaks,

Jeff Graham
Cascade Consulting
August 22, 2019 03:32AM
Thanks for the suggestion Stefan,

FYI for those interested, I found that three steps were required to move the http request to another port with Apache. First, change the Apache httpd.conf file "Listen" port. I changed it to 3999. Then add :3999 to the "ServerName" entry. Then save and restart Apache.

Next you have to add :3999 to the Host Name/IP field in the Advanced page in the WEBDEV administrator. Then validate with diagnostics.

Of course, the server address for the web service calls have to have the :3999 as well.

I did find that the test pages for my web service did not work in the final step because the html code did not add the port in the call. The test pages were created and looked right with the :3999 added but the button clicks did not have the port in the action. You can edit the HTML and add that to make it work.

All of this testing was on my development machine and it is ready on the client machine when the port gets opened. I hope it will work like my testing did. I will update this when it goes live.

Jeff Graham
Cascade Consulting
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.