Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WD24] Groupware fails to load all the project windows

Posted by Al 
Al
[WD24] Groupware fails to load all the project windows
August 16, 2019 04:34PM
Hello

In V22 I am using the old style groupware from V17. As part of my investigation into converting to V24 I am looking into the latest version of the groupware.

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type any given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.
I am convinced that same monkey was employed by PCSoft to write the code for the groupware.

It works, but what a mismash of programming methods and the overall premise was obviously to use the most complicated method possible as it is a nightmare to decipher.

Anyway the problem I have is that it creates a looper containing a picture of each window in a looper. It also tries to add the reports into the looper. I have dropped off the reports section as there are 900 of them, but I can't add more than 700 windows into the looper before Windev crashes and I have nearly 1300 windows in the project.

I can't see that it is a computer RAM issue as I have 32gb in my dev computer and with 700 windows the RAM usage is only 8gb.

There must be a limit of some sort in the looper. The short answer, which I haven't tried yet, is to try the process without loading the pictures, but I would like to try and find a solution that keeps them if possible.
The original code used threads to build the looper, one for images and one for rights and I have removed the thread process and just run the procedures normally.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

(Note: Removing the images works and all 1300 windows load so I will just remove the looper and replace it with a table)

Regards
Al

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2019 04:54PM by Al.
Re: [WD24] Groupware fails to load all the project windows
August 17, 2019 08:14AM
Hi Al,

I spent quite a few days with Groupware of v15 and older. Tried to understand it, tried to remove some bugs and to add a few features. One of the problems is the Groupware analysis because one cannot have two analysises open at the same time, the project's analysis AND the Groupware's analysis. I never succeeded in moving the internal component "Groupware" with all of its features into a project's analysis. I decided to have my own "Groupware" and I wrote it.

- Users of my programs easily can switch from HFSQL Classic to HFSQL C/S. Groupware has to switch with it. Switching happens on basis of a HF7-connection, not on a simple HOpen(..)

- Administrators should be able to switch off Groupware completely while they would have the choice of using the protection of an admin-password for a few windows, especially those who're dealing with Groupware and sensitive data.

- Users and admins should be able to change their own password (= hash") - if the user's data allow for doing so. Only the logged-in user/admin can change the password.

- encryption of passwords is not good enough anymore and therefore is "old school". Hashing is the way to go. Salting the hashes is even better. See: https://crackstation.net/hashing-security.htm

- I wanted to record the computer's name and the IP-address of the log-in.

- I wanted to know not only the log-in time but the log-out-time as well. A session-GUID does the trick. If the main window is closed without log-off then the Groupware's History file will be either empty or record an abnormal log-out.

- I wanted to unify the naming mix of "Admin" and "Supervisor" in PCS Groupware. "Supervisor" is Novell Netware slang while Microsoft is using "Administrator". I decided to go with admin.

- Since our programs are used by rather small audiences, maximum user count is about 50, so I happily left the complicated rights theater (in PCS Groupware a user can be member of several groups with different rights). Our users are rather simple-minded and wouldn't understand that anyway. A user is member of a group and the group has a number of rights, that's it. Administrators are members of of the admin-group and cannot be restricted in their rights. I neither need Windows authentification nor that of an Active Directory.

- I started out with rights management down to the control level but soon found out that handling such a diversity is no good for our customers, they simply don't understand the hidden complexity of the concept. This led me to let them stop unwanted access at menu-level only.

- Theoretically, Groupware should be usable in Java, Universal Windows 10 Apps etc too. The claim of platform-independency stops with WINDEV Java applications already. Ok, ok, my Groupware is for Windows apps only.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2019 09:33AM by gpredl.
Al
August 18, 2019 06:41PM
Hello Guenter

I finally got the current version groupware to work.

I had to re-write portions of the following procedures so that I could read in the older version data.
bMigrateAssociationsGroupsUsers
bMigrateGroups
bMigrateRights

I am allowing for the fact that we all have our own coding preferences, but the code in the Win_GPU windows and procedures is over complex and appears to be designed that way to discourage users to modify it.

I will follow your example and write my own process at some point in the future.

Regards
Al
August 19, 2019 06:22AM
Hi Al,

PCS programmers use the same coding style throughout all of their products. An overwhelming bunch of procedures. There is a school somewhere in the world that says that a procedure should not contain more than 10 LOCs (lines of code). They are following this rule. Be happy: OOP is even more difficult to read & understand.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.