Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using multi-sites in Windows Servers with WB and Application Server

Posted by MichaelR 
Hello:
I want to install 3 different WB[23] apps running under the Application Server in Windows 2012 Server. In these servers, to run multiple web sites, they create a new web site and use the hosting name to redirect to the right web site (www.example.com or www.otherserver.com, etc).

When WB deployment package installs the WB apps, it does it as a Virtual web site under the Default web site. But in this way, you need to implement your own redirection file. Even when this is doable, the problem I see if won't support secure certificates for each site, to enable port 443.

If I create a new site, and set the physical path to where the WB app site is installed (../EXAMPLE_WEB/ ), I get a
403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

I tried to set rights for IUSR user but didn't help.

Any help would be appreciated.
Regards;
Michael
Hi Michael,

I do it like follows:

I create a Folder for each site outside de inetpub Folder, e.g. f:\www\project1 or f:\wwww\project2 and so on.
Then I let the installer install the site into this path.

Then in IIS I create a new site for each Project.
Image1

The in the bindings I can link the created site to the related URL and can select weather we need port 80/443 and can select which SSL certificate is required.

Image2

In the bindings you set the path of the Directory where the _WEB Directory was installed.

That should work.

Regards

Stefan.
Hi Spelling error.

In the last sentence I meant "Basic Setting" not "bindings"

Regards

Stefan.
Hello Stefan:

Thanks for taking the time and sharing the solution.

I'm doing same thing, but I always get this error message;
You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

I checked permissions (Read, Execute, List) for IIS_IUSRS and IUSR users for the public (_WEcool smiley directory.

One questions though, in basic settings, are you pointing to the _WEB or parent directory?

Thanks
Michael
Another question is; when you install the webapp, it asks you for the website to install (default or any other you might create), so do you create the website before and select it (and then update the physical path) or just install it in the default website?

Thanks
Michael
Hi Michael,

I create the Website before I install the page.

Regarding the 403:
Have you checked the diagnostic function in the WB Administrator?

What I would try is to put a simple index.html into the Directory of the application and try if this can be reached from outside.
So you can check, wheather it is a IIS Problem or an WB Server problem.....

I would Point to a WB Server Problem.

Have you ckecked the Settings of the handler mappings in iis?

Regards

Stefan.
Hello Stefan:
I basically launched a new instance in Amazon with a new WIndows Server 2012 R2, installed IIS, checked the web server was working fine, then installed the WB Application server and configured the Admin user to point to the directory were I install all web apps (C:\WebDevSites\Sites).

I created a new website for www.myexample.com configuring the bindings and the basic settings (the physical path is pointing to the root directory as the Web App is still not installed, so no web app directory is created yet....). Once installed, I would set the physical path to the right directory...

I installed the Web App in the root of the directory (C:\WebDevSites\Sites) which created MyExample directory and MyExample_WEB as well. I instructed the installer to deploy this Web App in the new Web site (MyExample rather than Default web site). Once this is done, I adjust the Basic settings to point to the c:\WebDevSites\Sites\MyExample directory).

I then try from the browser and I still get the error:

I realized the new created directory doesn't have Read & Execute Rights for the IIS_IUSRS user, so I give rights to this user in this directory. (The C:\Inetpub\wwwroot already has rights configured for this user but since I created a new directory outside this path, I had to assign rights for this user).

After this, I try again, but I get sane error...

I have to questions;
1) In the Basic settings, are you pointing the physical path to the C:\WebDevSites\Sites\MyExample or C:\WebDevSites\Sites\MyExample\MyExample_WEB directory?

2) Besides the Windows Internet User (IIS_IUSRS), is there any specific user (perhaps from WB App Server) that needs to have rights in this directory as well?

Thank you very much for your support.

Regards;
Michael
pao
Re: Using multi-sites in Windows Servers with WB and Application Server
July 24, 2019 06:51PM
Did you try to create one simple index.html page in the root of your new web site and call it?
What is the authentication method defined in your new webdev site?
What is the authentication method defined in the WD230 alias?

Regards

Paulo Oliveira
Hi Paulo:

>>Did you try to create one simple index.html page in the root of your new web site and call it?
Yes, this works fine.

>>What is the authentication method defined in your new webdev site?
Anonymous Authentication Enabled.

>>What is the authentication method defined in the WD230 alias?
Do you mean the WD230AWP Virtual Directory? It is also Anonymous Authentication.
One thing to notice is these Virtual Directories (WD230AWP, etc.) were installed in the default web site only and not in the new created web site, as these were installed by WB App Server before the new Web site was even created...Is this Ok?

Thanks
Michael
Hi Michael,

this should work ….

> I have to questions;
> 1) In the Basic settings, are you pointing the
> physical path to the
> C:\WebDevSites\Sites\MyExample or
> C:\WebDevSites\Sites\MyExample\MyExample_WEB
> directory?
>

I am pointing to C:\WebDevSites\Sites\MyExample

> 2) Besides the Windows Internet User (IIS_IUSRS),
> is there any specific user (perhaps from WB App
> Server) that needs to have rights in this
> directory as well?

No!

Could you try following:

if your site is myexample.com and the Name of the wdl is myproject.wdl
Enter in the browser:

www.myexample.com/myproject

any changes?

Another Thing

In iis select your site, go to error pages, then in the Right menu click on "edit feature Setting" and enable detailed Errors.
Then your browser should give you more Information About the 403, in example if the error was generates by the cgi module and so on.
> One thing to notice is these Virtual Directories
> (WD230AWP, etc.) were installed in the default web
> site only and not in the new created web site, as
> these were installed by WB App Server before the
> new Web site was even created...Is this Ok?

I think no ...create a new virtual Directory pointing to wdxxxawp,exe
I re-installed the WB App Server in all Web sites (default, myexample, etc) and now it works....
HOWEVER, it only works if Basic settings path points to the _WEB directory (i.e; C:\WebDevSites\Sites\MyExample\MyExample_WEcool smiley... In this case, the www.myexample.com works fine.

If I change the Basic settings to point to the parent directory ( C:\WebDevSites\Sites\MyExample ), then when using www.myexample.com gives this error;
404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Using www.myexample.com/myexample_web , then it works...

So, now it works although not sure why is different to your case... Any idea?

Regards;
Michael
Re: Using multi-sites in Windows Servers with WB and Application Server
July 27, 2019 07:44AM
Hi, did you correctly define the default page name in the "Documents" tab? When you type only the domain name is the name of the page you will be trying to display.

On the other hand in the configuration of the path of the website, if it is a site with a single language you can point it to the language folder, that way only the domain will appear in the browser, without showing the language in question.

Rubén
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.