Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WB23] - Specify the control ID

Posted by JP 
JP
[WB23] - Specify the control ID
May 29, 2019 01:14PM
Hi

I have created a static webpage. It contains a text box and a submit button. WebDev generates the HTML and gives this text box in the HTML a random ID of "A11" (in this case). Is there a way to manually choose this ID for the control?

Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2019 01:14PM by JP.
Re: [WB23] - Specify the control ID
May 29, 2019 08:38PM
Hi JP,

It's not possible to change the control ID (Alias in WB terminology).
If you explain what you want to achieve then there sure will be a workaround.

Regards,
Piet .
JP
May 30, 2019 09:19AM
Hi Piet

So I want to create a login form (static page with a Submit button). So the page will have a username and password text boxes. The submit button will call a script of mine which will retrieve the username/password. But I would prefer my script could retrieve the page fields using meaningful IDs like "username" and "password" rather than "A10" and "A11".

Thanks!
May 30, 2019 10:15AM
Hi JP,

If you need code then why are you using a static page instead of an awp page?

Regards,
Piet
JP
May 30, 2019 10:29AM
Piet

Not sure about AWP - does it require the WebDev Admin Server? What is the difference between AWP and Dynamic?

In any case, a static page would seem to work fine - my back-end script will get the 2 fields I need and process something. The site does not require very much and Static site seems like a really simple solution in this case.

Background: we have a site currently that we want to replace. The current site is mainly static and calls some back-end scripts in another language. We dont want to re-write the back-end scripts into WebDev code right now. But we would like to use WebDev to develop and maintain the front-facing site HTML itself just to give it a face-lift and make it look better. But the back-end scripts could be kept as-is since they do the job required for now.
May 30, 2019 12:22PM
Hi JP,

In that case instead of edtt controls you could try one or more RTA controls and put the html code for the input control(s) with your own ID in it.

Regards,
Piet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2019 12:23PM by pietvanz.
JP
May 31, 2019 08:51AM
HI Piet

Would you by any chance have an example of the html code that I would need?

Cheers
May 31, 2019 09:57AM
Hi JP,

Something like
<input type="text" id="firstname">
If you want to learn more about html, check w3schools.com

Regards,
Piet
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.