Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

external components etc

Posted by ntnati 
external components etc
May 23, 2019 06:41PM
Hi All

I am looking to splitting a windev program into components.

Are there any pitfalls, from your experience, that should be avoided?

The need to split the program up arises because most modules do not change from one client to another eg sales ledger, purchase ledger module etc.

My intention is to have the sales and purchase ledger modules as an external components.
There will be some common files eg Sales ledger accounts which are to be access by the sales module and the main module.
Hope I am clear enough for some response smiling smiley

Any help / views appreciated.

regards
Noel
pao
Re: external components etc
May 24, 2019 09:43AM
Maybe this topic can help you, do some testing to see if it fits your needs.

[www.wxforum.info]

Regards

Paulo Oliveira
May 24, 2019 10:04AM
Hi,

cutting an existing program into pieces may be a good idea but will be real hard work. External Components are like DLLs, nobody can see their source code as long as you do not release it. The downside is that many parts of a program need to access data files. It very complicated to switch between several analysis-es (open / close /open ..) and there may be unexpected traps to be found in this area. Especially, if you're calling a component from another component. As an example, we currently have a "memory leak" on opening a thread from another thread. Works theoretically but doesn't work in reality. We have to rework the whole thing to make sure that calling a thread always happens from a main program and not from another thread. Similar things could arise from components. It may be that you have to terminate your project and leave just a few components in place ... good luck!

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
May 28, 2019 12:37PM
Hi

seems like it is not worth exploring.
Thanks for sharing experiences.

Regards
Noel
May 29, 2019 09:48PM
I'm managing a quite large project and I'm really thinking about how to split it in some sections, just to make the development easier.

I think (but not already tried) that I could put the analysis and all data-access classes "somewhere" and the main project will have "only" the window (interface) without analysis.

So, what do you think this "somewhere" should be? An external component? An internal component? A library (wdl)?

At this time I'm oriented towards an internal component nut I will appreciate any suggestion...
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.