Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Native acces to MSSQL database with Windows Authentication

Posted by Nick 
Hi,

When we make a native connection with a MSSQL database we always use a 'SQL Server user'.

Is it possible to make a native connection with 'Windows Authentication' ?
pao
Re: Native acces to MSSQL database with Windows Authentication
May 16, 2019 03:00PM
What are you using for the connection (DBNETLIB, SQLNCLI, Msoledbsql)?
In some of the version of the SQLNCLI you do it using one empty user and password.
For DBNETLIB i don't think it's possilble.
I never tested with the Msoledbsql

Regards

Paulo Oliveira
Hi Paulo,

We use 'SQLNCLI' (Native Acces MSSQL)
The database is not in our domain so i can not give an empty user and password.
But I can 'ping' the server in the other domain. (don't ask me how this is possible)
pao
Re: Native acces to MSSQL database with Windows Authentication
May 16, 2019 05:37PM
If the database is not in your domain do you have any trust relation between the two domains?

You can only use the windows Authentication if in the sql server your domain accounts are allowed. The remote domain must trust you domain for you to add you windows domain accounts to the sql server security.

As far as i know to use the windows Authentication the sqlserver engine trusts in the account logged in, you don't have to provide any user/password.

When you use windows authentication in the Management studio you don't provide any user/password, for you app it's the same.

Regards

Paulo Oliveira

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 09:44AM by pao.
Thanks for the reply.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.