Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WB 19]SMTP Mail Sending

Posted by ericus 
[WB 19]SMTP Mail Sending
May 10, 2019 10:01AM
Good morning

My application send out emails on behalf of my users i.e. invoices and statements. The users are from a number of different companies so there is a lot of user domains involved.

What I have been doing is using my ISP to send out the mails but then I change the Sender Address to my user's email address i.e. tom@abccompany.co.za

I change the sender to my domain address

Sender = "info@plumaccounting.co.za"

I don't want the recipient to reply to me. The reply must go to my application user. Lately none of the emails are being delivered. I think because I am 'spoofing'.

In WB19 it is not possible to change the reply address.

How can I accomplish what I want?

Thanks in advance

Ericus Steyn
Re: [WB 19]SMTP Mail Sending
May 10, 2019 02:52PM
Hi Ericus,

Over the last few years, more and more ISP's are implementing what is known as SPF (Sender Policy Framework). One of the things this framework does is validate that a sending mail server has authority to send emails on behalf of a specific domain.

We started seeing this problem more frequently a couple of years ago and the only way that we found to combat it was to have the owner of the domain that you need to send email on behalf of, modify their DNS and add a txt record that looks similar to the following:

v=spf1 mx include:my.mailserver.com -all

where my.mailserver.com is your mail server's domain or ip address. There's plenty of information available on how and what to do. I even wrote our support team a simple .awp page that they could go to and put in the domain in question and it would go out and query the dns of that domain and report back to them what they needed to do to fix the problem. If that's something that is of interest I might be able to dig up the code and turn it into a simple project for you to implement on your own.

Regards,
Ken
May 13, 2019 09:03AM
Thanks very much Ken.

I now had a look at www.postmark.com and for the price they are charging $10.00 per month might just make use of their services. They verify every user and the mails go through their server.

On the other hand they don't allow marketing material in which case your solution will solve that problem for me.

I will read up a bit about your suggestion.

Thanks again

Ericus Steyn
May 29, 2019 01:31PM
mmmh… But why don't you use the user's smtp account to send out the mail?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.