Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WX] Work environment

Posted by Al 
Al
[WX] Work environment
May 06, 2019 03:32PM
Hello All

The discussion with cccs about a problem with the project graph led me to think about my work environment with Windev and to consider whether there might be some general advantage to us all in sharing our work environments. As a sole programmer, this forum is my only contact with my Windev colleagues - thank you Gunter smiling smiley

My layout works for me and I am comfortable with it but I appreciate that there are other methods and options that I am unaware of. As well as using two screen for my main layout, I use a third screen for editing by dragging windows onto and the fourth screen for non Windev things - Outlook, Firefox etc. I am firmly wedded to the non ribbon version of the IDE but I fear that over time, PCSoft will allow it to fall behind by not adding new options back into it, but while it is there and gives me 2-3 extra lines of screen space I will stay with it.

I am not sure if PCSoft ever formally renamed what they used to call the "kugelhoph" ? window but now it is just the container window that allows the various work panes to dock together. I my case, the five search & replace windows,code, debugger & trace and the compilation error panes.

I have never used the graph display as my projects have always been too big, also I am not a picture person. I can't see any real value in the dashboard display so I shrink it out of the way as soon as it loads. I have no need for the SCM as I backup the entire project every day.

So a fairly simple layout that has developed over time. I would be really interested to see how other people work with Windev .

[tinypic.com]

Regards
Al
Ola
Re: [WX] Work environment
May 06, 2019 11:20PM
Hi Al,

I am just a poor boy with only a 24 inch display in addition to the 17 inch display of my development laptop. The big one is for WD and the smaller is for everyting else. Any wd tools that can be moved outside the wd main window is moved to the smaller display. Just because the format of all the current displays is so idiotic (too wide and too low) I try to build my working environment so that I have maximum vertical space - so no ribbons for me neither. Also the taskbar is on the left and not on the bottom of the display.

And nowadays I usually skip over a version or two to save me from getting more gray hairs from all the new problems created by a new version - it just is not worth it. New versions just take too much time fighting against the new problems. I rather use that time to build my model railroadsmiling smiley

Best regards
Ola
Al
Re: [WX] Work environment
May 06, 2019 11:30PM
Hello Ola

Wer are indeed kindred spirits.
I have progressed from my boyhood indoor railways in gauges "O", "HO" and "N" to now the great outdoors with "G" gauge. At the moment it is in pieces and packed away but I hope to get it all laid again out next summer.

Regards
Al
Ola
Re: [WX] Work/modelling environment
May 07, 2019 12:43PM
Al,

It seems that the older the modeller, the bigger the scalesmiling smiley May have something to do with the eyesight getting worse. But as I said, I'm just a poor boy, so I've stayed with H0. Unfortunately I'm modelling the Finnish environment in 50's-60's, which makes it either very laborious or very expensive, because reasonably priced kits are not available. I'm just modifying my book storage room to railway use.

Best regards
Ola
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.