Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[V24] Solved - Change to operation of TableSelectPlus() command from V22

Posted by Al 
Al
[V24] Solved - Change to operation of TableSelectPlus() command from V22
May 01, 2019 01:21AM
Hello All,

Prior to V24, the TableSelectPlus() command worked on the ComboBox control. It now gives an error "<ControlName> is not a table" on execution
(I did not relase any code in V23 so I am not sure if the change occured in that version)

The code editor does not register the use of TableSelectPlus on a combobox as an error and the compiler does not record an error

I appreciate that maybe the command was not intended to work on combo boxes but it did and now it doesn't.

In one application I have 5322 ocurrences of the TableSelectPlus() command that I will now have to check to see if they are running on a table or a List or ComboBox. Fortunately my naming structure will help in identifying cases where it is used in a combo or list.

I suspect the fact that the reason TableSelectPlus worked in the first place is that a listbox will support a table structure.
I suppose that the change would apply to all the TableSelect??? commands in relation to combo boxes

Regards
Al

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2019 03:49PM by Al.
Re: [V24] Change to operation of TableSelectPlus() command from V22
May 01, 2019 06:29AM
Hi Al,

please tell our friends in Montpellier about this fact! Let's see what they're going to do about that ....

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
Al
May 01, 2019 06:43AM
Hello Guenter

I have sent in a tech request and I will report back.

Regards
Al
Al
May 08, 2019 04:36AM
Hello All

I had a reply from Tech Support yesterday.
"It looks like the command was never meant to operate on a combobox control"

Unfortunately, there was no mention of the fact that it always did and PCSoft must have changed it to break it.
Also no mention of the breaking of the oft stated PCSoft mantra that each version is completely backwards compatible and that they have broken that trust.

From the latest brochure -
"No migration needed...simply recompile the application and it will work in version 24"
Well from V24 that promise is gone for good !

Every wall of every office and every screen saver at PCSoft should have the words "If it ain't broke, DON"T FIX IT !!" in big flashing letters.

Regards
Al
Al
May 10, 2019 02:35PM
Hello All

Interesting development.
I wrote to PCSoft Tech Ssupport disputing their answer and received a reply that they had tested the command inV22 and it failed so there was no issue.

I created a window in my V22 project with a combobox and a button to excute a TableSelectPlus() command on the combo box - it worked perfectly.

I created a new project to send to PCSoft and placed just that window in the project and the code failed - exactly as PCSoft said it would.

So, the code works in my project but does not work outside of it.
The project is old and has been in continuous development since V5.5 so who knows what is embeded in it to make the code work.

I will try adding parts of my original project into the test project to see if I can work out what allows the command to work.

I still maintain that PCSoft must have changed something in V24 to stop it working in my project, but only in the execution of the code because the compiler doesn't pick it up as an error. Interestingly, in the areas where it is used in the project and works, the TableSelectPlus() code references the combo box control as a "Name" string rather than by using its control name without quotes so maybe that has a bearing on it working.

Regards
Al
Al
Re: [V24] Solved - Change to operation of TableSelectPlus() command from V22
May 10, 2019 04:05PM
Hello All

I found the reason for the TableSelectPlus() command working on combo boxes in my project

In my project code there this code :

ExecutionMode(PermissiveMode + ExternalCallsOptimized)

From the Help file
Used to:•find out and/or modify the behavior of the application or site when some errors are generated. Depending on the selected runtime mode, these errors can be ignored or they can generate some error messages. In some cases, ExecutionMode can be used to restore the behavior of WINDEV 5.5.

So maybe back in the dim dark past, the TableSelectPlus() command worked fine on Combo boxes and at some point PCSoft changed that behaviour but my ancient code still worked because the ExecutionMode() setting reverted it back to 5.5 code

The behaviour of the ExecutionMode() command must have been changed in V24.
( I never ran V23 so I don't know if it was broken in that version first.)

Regards
Al

Regards
Al
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.