Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WD24] Is the looper control broken ?

Posted by Al 
Al
[WD24] Is the looper control broken ?
April 25, 2019 04:12AM
Hello All

I thought I would check out the new gallery control in V24.
Firstly it is not a control.
It looks to be just an implementation of a looper and from the help I couldn't figure out how to even get started because it says that you have to create it from a preset control and there didn't appear to be one in the preset controls.

Anyway, I thought I would just have a look at the looper control as I haven't used it todate. When I try to use the looper, it has options to source the data from Programming, From a file or Query, Define a query now or Display data in an existing variable. None of the options are greyed out but I cannot select any option but "Fill by programming" It doesn't work in 32 or 64 bit versions.

When I go back to V22 the looper control works fine.

So, does the looper work for everyone else and has anyone found the image gallery "Control" anywhere ?

Regards
Al
Re: [WD24] Is the looper control broken ?
April 25, 2019 11:50AM
Hi Al

Seems you are correct, the Looper control in WD24 is broken, only the 'Fill by Programming' is available for selection.
I have not yet imported an existing app - I'll try a bit later with one that has loopers filled from variables and report back.

The Image Gallery preset is a selection from the creation menu.
However do need need to use the ribbon menu as the additional choices are MIA if the 'earlier versions' menu display is used.
Open the Help for the Looper control, click 'see also', select Image Gallery - image 2 shows the menu options.
I noted that only WebDev is highlighted at the top of the help page ??? - undeterred however I proceeded to continue in WinDev with the selection and 'gallery' was indeed created on the window.

First thing I noted was that this generated a GUI error...
The Window2.GalleryRow looper (in gallery mode) is using a reference control that does not exist in the looper.
I checked on the Description/Details tab to find the 'Reference control for the height' combo had pre-selected IMG_Vignette which does not exist - no doubt a leftover from when this was being developed.
The combo does however offer the choice of IMG_Thumbnail - selecting this and saving removed the error.

Moving on to the Description/Content tab confirmed that as in the standard looper only 'Fill by Programming' is available as the data source.

Not quite a GOLD release then, will have to wait for a patch before any of the looper options or indeed v24 are usable for production.

I have been a bit hasty - as I was only playing my project only had a couple windows.
Having now added a data definition to the analysis and an array of structure to the project init all options - By Programming, By Variable and File/Query - are available for selection in all loopers.
I cannot say for sure but I suspect this pseudo intelligence may have always been the present in previous releases

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2019 12:47PM by DerekT.
Al
Re: [WD24] Is the looper control broken ?
April 25, 2019 04:03PM
Hello Derek

Thanks again for your detective work. I was also just testing with only a window so no analysis or variable to encourage the other looper options to appear. I suppose that a message or two from PCSoft on the looper creation screen to explain why the options were unavailable or simply remove or grey them out would have been a better choice.

I think you were right though in nominating the "gallery control" as not quite a GOLD release is correct.

The "control is merely a looper EXAMPLE masquerading as a control. I refuse to acknowledge it as a real control.

The help doesn't show anything about it if set to only show the current product (Windev) but it is touted as being a new control for Windev in the "New Features" .
The "Pager" and three buttons (Favourites,Comment,Share) options shown in the help as being available in the gallery "Control" are not available in the Windev version, presumably they are in the Webdev implementation.

Furthermore there is actually a Windev example in the examples. This example is obviously the development for the final "Gallery "Control" and in Windev is a better option that the final looper control.
(PCSoft must have been quite keen to get the new features count up to add in the use of an unfinished, half baked example as a new "control".)

It is a bit scary that the example presents as a Windev Example yet it has a button with code that executes OpenMobileWindow() which I thought wouldn't work in Windev and should have been Open Child() but it does work in the Windev example and according to the help is available for Windev.
The help graphic icons indicate that "OpenMobileWindow" is NOT available for Webdev but the words in the help say that it is available for Webdev for V24

It looks like PCSoft approach is to try and line up similar functions to operate the same across the three products regardless of the actual command verb used to call them.
e.g. in an application, a call to OpenChild() will function as that command when running in a Windows environment, as OpenMobileWindow() if the same app is running on a mobile and as "<Page> Display" when running in Webdev.
I think this mixing and matching of the three environments is going to be painfull for the next few iterations until it settles down.

I suppose for PCSoft this is no different to what they do now when a command is interpreted the same whether it is coded in French, English, or Chinese.

Regards
Al
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.