Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WB23] - Error installing site

Posted by JP 
JP
[WB23] - Error installing site
March 05, 2019 05:51AM
Hi All

I have a WB23 website. it is a dynamic site. It has been working for 6+ months. I have been able to upload new versions without issue. All fine. Today I try to upload a minor change and the upload process goes through all the motions transferring the update package etc. and right at the end it says:

Error writing into the registry
Contact the server administrator

Any clue why this would suddenly appear when the change I made was literally to change the logic of 1 line ...

Thanks
Re: [WB23] - Error installing site
March 27, 2019 10:31AM
Hi JP

Looks like a permissions error. What port are you using for the virtual server the web site is attached to?

Cheers
André
JP
March 27, 2019 10:36AM
Hi André

Not sure its a permissions error but agree it sounds like it. I have 4 sites on this server; they were all working perfecty and could be updated without issue for many months. I tried to update this one site and something went wrong which I cannot remember but now it will not update anymore. All 4 sites still work fine and 3 sites can continue to be updated properly but just this 1 site cannot be updated.

I sent PCSoft a support email and they suggest to reinstall the WebDev Admin Server "to make sure it has all necessary rights" and assure me that this will not damage existing sites ... but I am very concerned about doing that for obvious reasons - the 3 sites that are working are live sites with end-users on them and the 1 site which is not working is only a test site with no end-users (thank goodness).

I am not sure what to do. I am leaning towards deleting the non-working site and just trying to reinstall that 1 site from scratch.

PS. Are you in SA?
pao
March 27, 2019 10:46AM
JP,
My advice is to check the registry permission for the working sites and this one to see if you can find the problem before the reinstall.
You can find them in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PC Soft\WebDev\23.0\Applications\SITENAME] or
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow\6432NodePC Soft\WebDev\23.0\Applications\SITENAME]

Regards

Paulo Oliveira
March 28, 2019 05:09PM
JP

I rove around the planet [not in a Max 8 any longer] but am currently in Sandton in South Africa.

As Paulo says - check that registry entry - we encountered an issue where permissions on a port had changed - and bang the thing went south. Got hold of Montpelier and they immediately pointed to permissions. Check the thread WebDev 22 - Failure Adding Alias To IIS.

Cheers
André
JP
March 28, 2019 07:57PM
Hello Pao and Andre

Thanks for the suggestions. I have checked the permissions on the 4 sites in the registry and they are all the same. It seems there is a problem locking the site and then a subsequent problem to write into the registry. I assume the 2nd issues stems from the 1st. Here attached is the on-screen log. Any suggestions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2019 07:58PM by JP.
Attachments:
open | download - Capture.PNG (33.2 KB)
JP
March 29, 2019 08:53AM
Andre, please check your private messages.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.