Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WebDev 22 - Failure Adding Alias To IIS

WebDev 22 - Failure Adding Alias To IIS
February 15, 2019 10:34AM
Hi All

We have many dozens of WAS installations in the field. For the first time we have now encountered an issue when installing a web app from a hard install - we do not using ftp. The error is:

Failure adding the <name of alias> alias to the configuration of the Web server. You must configure your Web server manually by adding a virtual directory containing scripts. This virtual directory must be named: <name of alias>

It also says:

If your web server supports the script mapping and if you are using the rewriting URL, you must also configure a mapping
on the files and assign them with the c:\webdev 22\awp\wd220aawp.exe manager

I have never had to do any of this. Any idea what could be causing this? Anyone seen this before?

Cheers
André
King
Re: WebDev 22 - Failure Adding Alias To IIS
February 15, 2019 04:25PM
Hi

I guess it'd be the directory/mapped Drive access right (R/W/E/D) issue of your web server.

What webServer do you have?

HTH

Cheers

King
February 17, 2019 04:27PM
Hi King

We have tried 2008, 2012 and 2016. All IIS 8. Same problem.

Montpelier has confirmed that it is a permissions issue. I have never seen this before - it has to have something to do with the rights of the administrator installing the OS from the network - seems as though something is being inherited from somewhere. Wish I knew what it is as I really would prefer to not add the virtual stuff manually. Going to try tomorrow again.

Cheers
André
March 28, 2019 05:13PM
Hi All

Turned out to be a port issue. Server is a VM and the default port was open so it worked when we left it at that. The other port had not been opened. We just left the port as 80 and did the port forwarding using that port. It was a combination of me being clueless and the IT guy defending his system - very frustrating - sure you have all been down this road before.

So I have now learned that if the port is not open installing a WAS site will squeal. I would have never known. It seems to check. That is my position now until I am corrected.

Cheers
André
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.