Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unlocking files in HFSQL server

Posted by AadG 
Unlocking files in HFSQL server
January 31, 2019 03:27PM
Hi all,

Ik have a question about unlocking files in HFSQL server, when I close my program.
I want to make a backup of the database files with an axternal backupprogram. When I end
my program and start the backup, it says that several files are in use. When I stop the HSQL server,
then the backup goes OK.

I use HCloseconnection and HClose( "*"), but nothing seems to works. Anybody with an idea ??

Best regards,

Aad
Re: Unlocking files in HFSQL server
January 31, 2019 06:19PM
Hi Aad,

don't try to "fight" your HFSQL Server - see this "locking functionality" as a plus.
It is - although NOT 100% - protecting your data from external applications ...
The way I do it in my apps, is to let users create hot backups (from my apps) and then copy this backup with an external program.

Regards
Steven Sitas
[www.alpha360.biz]
January 31, 2019 07:44PM
Hi AadG and Steven,

To make a backup I use the Scheduled backups of HFSQL Server, for years with no problem.
The scheduler makes two backups:

1. Full Backup every 5 days of a month at given hour (at night)
2. Differential Backup every day at given hour.

In the same way, I make scheduled reindexing of all databases.

At this point I have a concern, about degradation of performance of HFSQL Server during this operation.

Best Regards,

Vassilis
January 31, 2019 08:23PM
Hi Vassilis,

Performance probably depends on your installation - hardware, data size and WX versions and your programming paradigm.
My largest installation - where I have files up to 100 GB [the .mmo files], and about 50 active users - is based on a WX19 app and a v19 HFSQL Server. During Full HOT backups the users have NOT complained about performance ...

Regards
Steven Sitas
www.alpha360.biz
February 01, 2019 06:50AM
Hi Steven,

That's good news.
Until now, the Server has 1-Xeon processor, with WS-2012, 16GB RAM, Raid-1 for the OS and a single disk (!!!) for DB wich counts 115GB of data.
Even with this configuration, the whole operation is very very good.
In a few days, a new Server with 2 Xeon processors, WS-2016, 64GB RAM, Raid-1 for the OS and Raid-10 (6 disks) for the DB. will be operational.

Best Regards

Vassilis
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.