Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sending direct emails versus spamboxes/phishing.

Posted by AadG 
Sending direct emails versus spamboxes/phishing.
October 15, 2018 05:11PM
Hi all,

I made a sort of direct email procedure from an application using the Windev functions.
This works fine, but I receive a lot of complaints, that these mails disappear in spamboxes
or are blanked out because of phishing suspicion.

Anybody with tips to avoid this and make mails more trustworthy??

Best regards,

Aad
pao
Re: Sending direct emails versus spamboxes/phishing.
October 15, 2018 05:32PM
Normally the spam problem is the configuration of the SMTP server and not the way you use to send the emails.

How is your smtp server configured? DMARC, DKIM, SPF,...?
check regularly the score of your smtp server in [talosintelligence.com] ((using the IP and the domain) and some blacklist scan site.

Be carefull wtih the email.sender and email.senderaddress

Are you trying to sent emails for instance form one smtp server configured for the @email1.com domain and your sender address is from @email2.com domain?

Are you sending lots of emails exactly with the same message?

Regards

Paulo Oliveira

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2018 06:24PM by pao.
October 15, 2018 06:29PM
Hi Paolo,

Thank you for your tips.

Indeed I'm using

Are you trying to sent emails for instance form one smtp server configured for the @email1.com domain and your sender address is from @email2.com domain?

So I need to use the same domain for both to eliminate potential problems.

What do you mean by

Be carefull wtih the email.sender and email.senderddress

Best regards,

Aad
October 15, 2018 06:29PM
Hi Aad,

the trick is to send a blind copy (BC) of the mail to yourself. This will fight the problem of mails being misjudged as spam!

Kind regards,
G. Predl
pao
October 15, 2018 07:01PM
Hi Aad,

At least the email.sender variable content must respect the smp server configuration (domain) or you will endup in troubles.
You never know what are the checks implemented in the destination server, to prevent troubles you must respect the emails best pratices as much as you can.

Try to send one email as you are doing now to a gmail account and check the header in the gmail console (original message), you can see a lot of information about the validation they are doing. Sometimes this is helpfull in the debug process.

Regards

Paulo Oliveira

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2018 07:17PM by pao.
October 16, 2018 10:12AM
Hi Aad,

One solution is to have your clients add an spf record for their domain, to allow your mailserver to send mails for them.
Recently, because of problems for users of Office365, I added an option for clients to use their own mailserver.
Slows things down, but it works.

Kind regards,
Piet
October 16, 2018 04:22PM
Thanks guys for all your suggestions.
I will look into each one of them.

@Piet. I have a server with several customers. They all have their own info@domain.com sending address,
but but we use info@ourdomain.com to send the mail, so that's probably why some mails are classified as spam.

Strange enough we have a customer that uses his smtp.office365.com and that works ok, slow indeed but it works.

Best regards,

Aad
October 17, 2018 12:42AM
Hi Aad,

so that's probably why some mails are classified as spam.
Some don't even get delivered.

Strange enough we have a customer that uses his smtp.office365.com and that works ok, slow indeed but it works.
Not strange at all, that's exactly what I did by letting them use their own mailserver.
For the others the spf record I mentioned is an option.

Kind regards,
Piet
October 17, 2018 06:56PM
Hi Piet,

I understand that the SPF-record needs to be included in the mailserver of the customer ?

Best regards,

Aad
pao
October 18, 2018 12:40PM
Aad

The SPF record is one DNS record, it has to be created in the DNS sever not in the mailserver

If you are sending emails in the name of @clientdomain.com in the DNS server of that domain (clientdomain.com) you have to include in the SPF records the ip address of your smtp server to allow your server to send emails in the name of the clientdomain.com domain

Regards

Paulo Oliveira
October 18, 2018 12:53PM
Hi Aad,

This is what I sent my clients to add:

v=spf1 a:vzs.nl ~all

AFAIK this should work, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Most providers have a utility to add an spf TXT-record to the DNS-settings of the domain.

Kind regards,
Piet
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.