Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Android phone and onedrive or google drive?

Posted by Ola 
Ola
Android phone and onedrive or google drive?
September 30, 2018 08:46PM
Hi all,

Is it possible, in a WD Mobile app in an Android smart phone, to use (read/write) HFSQL classic files on a OneDrive or Google drive? How? Any restrictions, suggestions?

Best regards
Ola
Re: Android phone and onedrive or google drive?
September 30, 2018 09:45PM
Hi Ola,

that is something that I would never trust...

To have at the same time two completely different systems (HF and a cloud drive software) read and write in the same files sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Best regards

Fabrice Harari
International WinDev, WebDev and WinDev mobile Consulting

Free Video Courses, free WXShowroom.com, open source WXReplication, open
source WXEDM.

More information on [www.fabriceharari.com]
Ola
October 03, 2018 04:08PM
Hi Fabrice,

I have some negative prejudice about this, too, but I have been playing around with a small WD app with a couple of local files and some half a dozen global, all HFSql classic. The app and its local files are local on a PC, but the "global" files are on a mapped Onedrive, and so far I have not run into any problems; they work fine and reasonably fast. Therefore I am thinking, that wouldn't it be nice -- or outright wonderful -- to be able to use also a mobile app to read/write the same global files on Onedrive!

But, as I said, this is still a very young test, the record number is small, and I have not yet tested simultaneous use from several PC's with record locking.

It sems that HChangeDir is not available in mobile apps, so it may not be possible to use a mapped Onedrive disk from WM.
Correction: It seems that this is possible, after all, so I just have to test it.

Best regards
Ola

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2018 04:23PM by Ola.
October 03, 2018 04:48PM
Hi Ola,

even if it works in your test, NOTHING says it will work tomorrow, at the next upgrade of the cloud drive software, as they are not aware of your test and care not about it...

yes, it would be marvelous if it worked, and it would give me an ulcer if I tried to relay on that system.

And I'm not even talking about the legal liabilities of designing such a system KNOWING that it can potentially stop working and loose data at any point...

Best regards

Fabrice Harari
International WinDev, WebDev and WinDev mobile Consulting

Free Video Courses, free WXShowroom.com, open source WXReplication, open
source WXEDM.

More information on [www.fabriceharari.com]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.