Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Serial library

Posted by aelfassi 
Serial library
September 05, 2018 11:31AM
Hi,
Does anyone use a serial Library other than WinDev serial commands?
Re: Serial library
September 05, 2018 01:12PM
Hi aelfassi,

it's some years ago already when we had to connect a few different devices (mainly scales, scanners, modems, POS displays ..) through serial connections. In all of these cases it had been possible to make things working with WINDEV's set of commands. You have to know the basics of serial communication ... a library doesn't help much without that knowledge. Recommendation: connect the device to your computer and start to access it by using a test program. Btw: what type of device is it?
Erik Schwarz
September 05, 2018 05:27PM
Hi,

no Need for some external stuff. We are using Serial communication since all the time in 24/7 applications.
Do not remember any Problems so far. What can a library do else than sending and receiving data from or to a buffer?
Super easy with WD. And initialization, too.
If you think about protocols, then you might use a library, but this should be generic (no Special hardside communication included).

Hope this helps

Erik
September 05, 2018 11:18PM
Thanks to both of you, Me too I use windev commands to connect to scales I've just wondered if there is a library more performant to use as I saw a lot of paid libraries on the Web.

Aelfassi
September 06, 2018 10:51AM
Hi,

probably you will need a library with most other programming languages indeed because Windows closes all ports - even parallel and serial ones! - by default. It's a security feature. Those libraries open the used serial port and do all the low level things you have got in WINDEV by default. Therefore you don't need a serial library in WINDEV.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.