Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WebDev 12 Error - Cannot read configuration

Posted by JB 
Hi All

Something very strange has started to happen on my Vista development box. Any websites I try to run I get the following error:

HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error
The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

Module IIS Web Core
Notification BeginRequest
Handler Not yet determined
Error Code 0x80070005
Config Error Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions
Config File \\?\C:\WebDev 12\Programs\Engine\Windows\AWP\web.config
Requested URL [localhost]
Physical Path C:\WebDev 12\Programs\Engine\Windows\AWP\WD120Awp.exe\CTX_7812-0-FCWjeCcjmv\CONNECT_MODETEST
Logon Method Not yet determined
Logon User Not yet determined

The strange thing is that the web.config file does not exist in the AWP directory. I tried to copy one from inetpub\wwwroot but still nothing.

Please can someone help me?

Thanks

Jonathan
If it is looking for web.config, does this site in IIS think it is .NET rather than WebDev?

Kevin
I had a similar issue after Vista installed new patches last week.

Since you are using Vista, the default applications created in IIS are set as authenticated for some reason. To get past this problem, do the following:-

1. Open "Computer management"
2. Open "Internet Information Services ..." under "Services and applications"
3. Under your iis (I guess it will be "Default web site" for a dev machine"), look for your application folder
4. Ensure "Anonymous Authentication" is enabled under "Authentication" under the IIS section.

This worked for me.

Also, did you do the IIS configuration as discussed in the docs for IIS7 yet?
Thanks Ben

Unfortunatly that didn't help as anonymous authentication was set correctly and I had gone thew the WebDev setting a few time.

Any other ideas?

Jonathan
Jeff Graham
Re: WebDev 12 Error - Cannot read configuration
June 18, 2008 06:57AM
I had a similar problem on my Vista with WebDev11. I had to manually add a virtual directory to IIS for the WebSite_Web directory so that the testing would work. WebDev was unable to create the virtual directory like it normally does.

Hope that helps,
Hi Mate,

Here as some problems with IIS and permissions, and how they overcame it. Maybe one of these will indicate what your problem might be:-

[blog.crowe.co.nz]
[forums.iis.net] (See this one about the system paths)http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/24679-what-web-config-file.html (Almost identical to yours)
[www.eggheadcafe.com]

Hope one of these will help you out.

Btw. What version of Vista are you using?

Cheers mate
Ben
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.