Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

XLS to Memory Table

Posted by Art Bonds 
Art Bonds
XLS to Memory Table
June 14, 2008 10:33PM
Trying to loop thru an unknown formated XLS file and write it to a memory table. Although I see a TableToXLS, I don't see the reverse. So here is what I am doing.

Create a MemoryTable, one column.
Open the XLS file.
Get the number of columns (in this case 7).
For i = 2 to NumberOfColumns
..ControlClone the first column
End

That gives me a memory table with 7 columns.

Now I need to read through the XLS file and add lines to the table. I can read the value from each and every cell in the XLS file, by row and column. What I am having difficulty in is adding it to the memory table.

I tried TableAddLine(TheTable), then tried to find a way to modify each column in the table with the values from each cell. No luck.

Then I tried to concatinate all the XLS's cells on a row (like this):

AddLineValue is String
For j = 1 to NumberOfRows
..For k = 1 to NumberOfColumns
....CellValue = xlsData(xlsfile,j,k)

Then concatanate all the cell values into AddLineValue, which looks like this:

AddLineValue = ,"Shannon MacArthur","222-222-2222","2","Management","US","Management","Melinda Overmire"

Then I do TableAddLine(TheTable,AddLineValue)

That results in the entire AddLineValue ending up in the FIRST column in TheTable... not seperated into all 7 columns.

However, I can take the contents of AddLineValue and put it in TableAddLine and it works fine, adding all the values to the seperate columns in the table:

TableAddLine(TheTable,"Shannon MacArthur","222-222-2222","2","Management","US","Management","Melinda Overmire")

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Or better yet, is there a XLSToMemoryTable out there somewhere? I looked at BuildBrowsingTable and FileToMemoryTable but couldn't see where I could use the XLS as a data source (either File or View or Query).

Thanks in advance,
Art

Piet van Zanten
Re: XLS to Memory Table
June 14, 2008 10:52PM
Hi Art,

Best way in this case is the oldfashioned "tableadd".
For j = 1 to NumberOfRows 
    sLine=xlsData(xlsfile,j,1)
    For k = 2 to NumberOfColumns 
        sLine+=Tab+xlsData(xlsfile,j,k)
    end
    TableAdd(Table,sLine)
end

Best regards,
Piet

Art Bonds
Re: XLS to Memory Table
June 15, 2008 01:59AM
Yep, sure was.

THANKS!

Art
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.