Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Updating record using a Query

Posted by Mark 
Mark
Updating record using a Query
June 09, 2008 01:17PM
Hi guys,

I am a bit confused and a tad frustrated with the following scenario, and I am hoping you can point me in the right direction or at least tell me I am barking up the wrong red herring!

Simple scenario, I have a window/form which has a table on it and a few edit controls, usual save, edit buttons etc.

The Table & Edit controls are linked or bound to a parameterised query. The intention is to do all the edits on this query then write back to the file/table in SQL Server back end.

I am using HExecuteQuery as I have built the query using the Windev Query Editor, I read somewhere in the help that the Query if it's linked to a file should update said file, I am doing doing an HAdd and HModify in the right places I think, then executing the HExecuteQuery but
it's not happening!
Bob Stratton (bosher)
Re: Updating record using a Query
June 09, 2008 02:34PM
Hi Mark,

Isn't there a 'hmodifyfile' option when you run your query that you need to use for this to work?

Cheers,

Bob
Mark
June 09, 2008 03:53PM
Bob,

Yes there is thanks, I thought in my desparation I might have tried that but I'll go back and have a look again.

Mark
Arie
June 09, 2008 04:29PM
"On non-Hyper File files, the hModifyFile constant is useless: the files involved in the query are automatically modified when the query result is modified.
" according to the help.

You have to make sure your record pointer is pointing to the required record inside your queryresult, every time you need to change some value.
i.e. use HReadSeek() in "Row Selection" of your browsing table.
Then you can modify some fields and use HModify() to save those changes.

another example (without error handling)
HExecuteQuery(yourquery)
HReadFirst(yourquery)
WHILE NOT HOut(yourquery)
yourquery.SomeField = "some value"
HModify(yourquery)
HReadNext(yourquery)
END
HCancelDeclaration(yourquery)

Arie
Milton
June 09, 2008 10:19PM
Hi Mark,

The HAdd command works fine for me when using a query to popoulate a screenview and then to write back to the original SQL table. I have shown an example below. I am connecting via OLEDB and have the correct permissions. Is it a permissions issue in your case?

HOpen(TblNationalTransferCostBrands,"",hOReadWrite)
HExecuteQuery(EvaNtcExclusionQuery,hModifyFile,gStyID)
HReadFirst(EvaNtcExclusionQuery,EvaNtcExclusionQuery.evaID)
WHILE NOT HOut(EvaNtcExclusionQuery)
TblNationalTransferCostBrands.ntbNtcID=EvaNtcExclusionQuery.ntcID
TblNationalTransferCostBrands.ntbActive=True
TblNationalTransferCostBrands.ntbBrnID=gBrnID
TblNationalTransferCostBrands.ntbDateCreated=Today()+Now()
TblNationalTransferCostBrands.ntbDateUpdated=Today()+Now()
HAdd(TblNationalTransferCostBrands,hCheckIntegrity)
Error("Added one record")
HReadNext(EvaNtcExclusionQuery,EvaNtcExclusionQuery.evaID)
END

HTH

Milton
Mark
June 10, 2008 12:12AM
Arie,

Thanks for your input I'll give that a go.

Mark
Mark
June 10, 2008 12:13AM
Milton,

Thanks for your suggestion, and another way of looking at it I will try your solution out also.

Mark
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.