Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windev Installer

Posted by DW 
DW
Windev Installer
June 01, 2008 05:28AM
I am trying to create an installer for a multiuser with automatic update.

When I run the installer I get an error.

has anyone seen this before.

Dennis W

Andres Sanchez
Re: Windev Installer
June 01, 2008 06:07AM
Dennis:

You are making the installer already, does this means you finish converting your cabinet application to WinDev ?

If this is the case I would love to take a look at it. If i may.

Best Regards

Andres Sanchez R.
Monterrey Mexico
Jimbo
June 01, 2008 09:15AM
Hi Dennis,

there is still a number of real bugs inside the WDSetup program of WD11 + WD12! (They changed WDSetup a bit from v11 to v12) It is not even possible to make a simple setup for the most basic thing, a HF Classic program to be installed on WinXP only. I've spent many days on WDSetup, I tried to change WDSetup, but I found that from an economic point of view, it is better to use Inno Setup, a free installer. Sadly, the network setup is not covered by commercially available installers. When writing to Tech Support, they'd tell you that everything is OK. I'm fed up with this policy of denying the obvious. Only thing I could get was the inclusion of WDSetup in WD12/US as a standard example, developers are not forced anymore to download the French version of WinDev.

Uh, I'm feeling much better now .. not meaning that it IS any better than before.

Kind regards,
Guenter

Rich
June 01, 2008 02:45PM
Dennis,

I stopped using the installer because of similar problems.

I recommend you check out Setup Builder from LinderSoft, www.lindersoft.com.

It is easy to use, uses a simple scripting language, and Friedrich Linder provides quick answers to questions.

You have complete control over what goes where.

All my installations are done with it.
Jeff Graham
June 01, 2008 04:08PM
Hi Dennis,

We use the automatic and standard install in all our applications (6 currently) and in many different locations. We are very pleased with the installer even if there is an occasional glitch.

I did see the case you are showing back when I was first using automatic update. I don't remember the actual cause, but it seems it was related to trying to install the hyper file server. We always install that separately.

DW
June 01, 2008 05:29PM
Hello Andres,

No I have not completed the cabinet app yet. I converted my DB that track my customers and I am experimenting with it to try to learn how to use the installer with auto updates.

Dennis
DW
June 01, 2008 05:34PM
Jeff Graham,

Yes it is on the server install side. I was able to get it to install and then installed a client.
After that I created a update to test it. I installed the server everything went OK. the next time I started the client I had a installer try to run but never did and was never able to get the clint to start again.(It just locked up).

Dennis
DW
June 02, 2008 01:17AM
Dennis W
I am trying to create an installer for a multiuser with automatic update.

When I run the installer I get an error.

has anyone seen this before.

Dennis W

I figured it out. In the set up for the installer there is an area Help for the new features.
I had it referencing the help file that has not been generated yet.

With a lot of trail and errors I was able to create a setup with automatic updates that worked.
Dennis
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.