Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WD11: Problem exporting table to Excel

Posted by Gianni Spano 
Gianni Spano
WD11: Problem exporting table to Excel
May 27, 2008 05:36PM
Hello

I have a table that contains 400 columns.
When i execute the "tabletoexcel" function all seams going fine, but when i open the file
generated by my program, Ms Excel 2007 shows me an error message saying it
found some cells with invalid data. It isn't true!!

But there is a strange things, Ms Office 2007 shows me only the first 255 columns (????).

Does anyone knows how to resolve this issue or this event has to be considered as
a limitation using "tabletoexcel" function? (or bug??)

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Gianni
DarrenF
Re: WD11: Problem exporting table to Excel
May 27, 2008 06:09PM
Gianni,

It seems you may have reached the tabletoexcel limit.

There are several limitations with the Excel functions in WD - I hit a similar "255" limit going the other way, when I was trying to import from Excel. For example; there is a limit on the number of characters a single cell can hold when transferring - is it just a coincidence that the limit is also 255?

Carlo Hermus
May 27, 2008 06:30PM
Gianni and Darren,

If I remember correctly, the last column of Excel is IV this means the limit of Excel columns are 255

Gianni Spano
May 28, 2008 12:10AM
Surfing the web i found a forum where somene told:

"In Excel 2003, and earlier versions, that's the limit. Excel 2007 has 1,048,576 rows and 16,384 columns."

In fact, i'm using Excel 2007, but it seems WD11 uses this limit.

Anyone know if this limit is adjusted with WD12 ??

Gianni
Gianni Spano
May 28, 2008 12:13AM
Other info about Excel limitations can be found here:

[blogs.msdn.com]

HTH
Gianni
Gianni Spano
May 28, 2008 12:15AM
Other info about Excel limitations (2003 and earlier to 2007) can be found here:

[blogs.msdn.com]

Gianni

Andres Sanchez
May 28, 2008 12:26AM
Windev 12 appears to have the same limit of 256

Extracted from Windev 12 Help:
The Excel files cannot exceed 65536 rows and 256 columns.
The created file can be opened by Excel 97 (or later) or by OpenOffice Calc 2 (or later).

GuenterP
May 28, 2008 09:46AM
Hi, Excel limits are Microsoft Excel limits. There are spreadsheets around which do not impose those limits, but their name is NOT Microsoft Excel. WinDev of any version cannot do anything about Microsoft's problems. Guenter

P.S. Some postings are put to approval state, perhaps because of their contents. Some artificial but defective intelligence in the forum background decides about that. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Gianni Spano
May 28, 2008 12:27PM
Hello Guenter

I'm aware about the Excel 2003 columns limitation to 256, but as i wrote in my previous post, Microsoft resolved the limitation allowing to set up to 16384 columns using the new Excel 2007.

I don't understand, why PcSoft release WD12, (that still use the limit of 256 columns) and doesn't allow us to generate an Excel file in the 2007 format to avoid the columns limit.
It is still remaining for ealier compatibility (and i agree), but the Excel functions in Windev 12 must be upgraded to last Excel 2007 version. Do you agree?

Gianni
GuenterP
May 28, 2008 12:42PM
Theoretically yes. At least it would be adviceable. That would be their work. Otherwise there are functions in WinDev to generate XLS-files too. Ok, that's your work. Or to export a simple ASCII file and let it pick up by the user of Excel later on.

Anyway, you should send an info to Tech Support!

Kind regards,
Guenter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.