Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WD10] Sending email unsuccessful (SMTP)

Posted by Stefan Bentvelsen 
Stefan Bentvelsen
[WD10] Sending email unsuccessful (SMTP)
January 20, 2010 04:57PM
Hi,

I have a client who tried to send email from within our application and get the following error message (ErrorInfo()) (for privacy reasons the emailadres is replaced by emailadres@domain.nl). I have double checked the email settings. They are equal to the settings in Outlook. Sending mail via Outlook works OK. In our application we use EmailStartSMTPSession() and EmailSendMessage().

Anyone who can give me a suggestion ?

***************************************************************************************

Unable to send message.

Check the recipient addresses as well as your account settings (sender address).

Failure may caused by a technical problem.

Fout successive attempts have been made. Problem Details:

- First Attempt:

Content of Email.Sender not recognized by server. Transaction denied.
Last SMTP Server Response:
< 554 5.7.1 < emailadres@domain.nl > Sender address rejected: Access denied >

- Second Attempt:

essai2
- Third Attempt:
- Fourth Attempt:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 04:58PM by Stefan Bentvelsen.
Fabrice Harari
Re: [WD10] Sending email unsuccessful (SMTP)
January 20, 2010 06:11PM
Hi Stefan

as you didn't post your code here, it's hard to be sure, but one possible reason is that the windev email functions do not support sending email via a secure protocol...

So if your real email settings are for a secured smtp server (like gmail), sending emails won't work with the normal code

Best regards

Jimbo
January 20, 2010 07:13PM
Hi Stefan, one of my customers reported exactly the same problem today!
I thought, he had f**** up the e-mail definition (user, password etc) within the program ..
This program worked just fine for two years now and all of a sudden ..
Kind regards, Guenter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 07:15PM by Jimbo.
Piet van Zanten
January 20, 2010 07:15PM
Hi Stefan,

I had a similar problem using noreply@mydomain.nl as email sender address .
I assumed my provider's smtp server does not allow the noreply email, because if I use a different reply address everything's ok.

Regards,
Piet
Stefan Bentvelsen
January 20, 2010 08:54PM
Hi Piet,

thanks for your response. I have tried a number of different email addresses as sender address, but we get the same error, only with the changed email address. In this case it is a normal email address and it worked til about 3 days ago without any problem.
Stefan Bentvelsen
January 20, 2010 08:59PM
Hi Fabrice,

thank you for your response.

The reason that I did't post any code is that I think that it is an external problem. Til about three days ago, it worked without any problem. But I will check the secure protocol and let you know the results.
Stefan Bentvelsen
January 20, 2010 09:06PM
Hi Guenter,

in this case the program works fine at several other clients without any problems, also at this client til about three days ago. I understand that you don't have a solution on the moment ?

I check the suggestion of Fabrice, and let you know the results.

Thanks for your response.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 09:07PM by Stefan Bentvelsen.
Peter H.
January 20, 2010 09:17PM
Check if the SMTP server is not blacklisted. If it is, e-mail sent from this server is often rejected by the receiving server.

Cheers,

Peter
Peter H.
January 20, 2010 09:18PM
Additional: secured SMTP (port 587) works fine with the WD email functions.

Cheers,

Peter
Stefan Bentvelsen
January 20, 2010 09:51PM
Hi Peter,

thank you for your response. Can you tell me how I can check if the SMTP server is blacklisted ?
Al
January 20, 2010 09:59PM
Hello Stefan

What version of Outlook is your client running ? There is a problem with WIndev V12 and Outlook 2007 that is supposed to be fixed in V14 and as some of our clients are just starting to upgrade over to Office 2007 the email problem is cropping up in a number of sites where it used to work fine.

Regards
Al
Stefan Bentvelsen
January 21, 2010 10:54AM
Hi Al,

my client is running MS Office 2003 and til now we only have our apps delivered in WinDev V10. So in this case I suppose this is not the reason of the problems.
Anyway, thanks for your suggestion.
Stefan Bentvelsen
Re: [WD10] Sending email unsuccessful (SMTP) Work around
January 21, 2010 11:04AM
Hi Guenter and others,

the original (working) settings for email used a SSL connection of the hosting provider of my client. It worked fine for at least a half year now. Suddenly, it stops working, while sending email via Outlook still worked. After trying to reset al the settings in our application and try some settings in Outlook yesterday, today also Outlook stopped sending emails. It gave exactly the same error as in our application.

I have solved the problem by using the smtp address of the hardware provider (Tiscali), which is unsecured, no SSL. Now it's working fine in our app and also in Outlook.
But I still don't get it.
Stefan Bentvelsen
January 21, 2010 11:18AM
Hi Fabrice,

like I wrote in this posting , I solved the problem via a work around.
The smtp-address of the original hosting provider do use a secured connection, but it worked at least a half year without any problem, til a few days ago.
Anyway, thanks for your effort.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2010 11:20AM by Stefan Bentvelsen.
Fabrice Harari
January 21, 2010 12:16PM
Hi Stefan

unfortunately, there are different type of secure SMTP connexions, and some of them (like the ones used by google, ie the more secured ones) are NOT supported, while other are...

Which makes it quite confusing; as usual. My guess is that your original SMTP provider decided to enhance security and changed the security protocol used. Hence the problem

On the bright side, one of the new trinket of wx 15 is the support of these more secure protocols (supposedly, at least, as I didn't test that part yet)

Best regards

mANFRED
October 05, 2020 04:41PM
TEST
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.