Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do you display the "linked table field" in a table

Posted by Dan M 
I don't know if "linked" is the correct term but ...

I have a table called inventory. In it are fields named part number & manufacturer_id.

I have set up in the analysis that the manufacturer_id is a combo box which displays the brand name from the manufacturer table but stores the manufacturer id.

On an entry screen when I place the manufacturer Id on it, it works great! There is a combo box with a list of manufacturer names and when you save it the manufacturer id is stored in the table.

So ...

the inventory has a part number field with ABC123 and in the manufacturer_id field 203 (the unique id for TEXAS INSTRUMENTS).

I have created a query with the part number and manufacturer id and then created a table withthe same 2 fields.

when the table displays it displays the manufacturer id 203 not TEXAS INSTRUMENTS.

How do I get the table to display TEXAS INSTRUMENTS instead of 203 ?
Dan,

You need to specifically store the manufacturer name in the table since you have only selected the manufacturer id as a stored item.

Possibly something like this -

mytable.manufacturerid = mycombo.manufacturerid
mytable.manufacturername = mycombo.manufacturername
HAdd(mytable)

Milton
Piet van Zanten
Re: How do you display the "linked table field" in a table
July 04, 2009 11:03AM
Hi Dan,

There are several ways to do this.
1. You can add the manufacturer name to the query. If you use the query Wizard this is very simple. Drawback is that the query result will not be modifiable anymore.
2. Create a combo box type column in the table just like you did on the entry screen.
3. If the table were directly linked to the file and not to a query, you can use a multifile link
4. By programming, in the row display section of the table do a hreadseekfirst on the client file

Regards,
Piet
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.