Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Element already found in project

Posted by Hans60 
Hans60
Element already found in project
June 22, 2009 04:07PM
I get the message that windows element is already found inb project, but I can not see it. I cleand the project and I still get the message.
How can i get rid of this or overwrite the found element... it always adds a 0 at the end of the name... Does anyone know a way arround this?
Thanks
Hans
Jeff Graham
Re: Element already found in project
June 23, 2009 08:14AM
What are you trying to do and how are you trying to do it when you get the message?

Jeff
Hans60
June 23, 2009 08:55AM
Hi Jeff, I imported a sample project in one of my projects. Then I realized that some of the windows had same names as in current project. Hence they were renamed to ...name0.
Then I deleted all imported windows and renamed some of my initial project windows in order to avoid the conflict. However a subsequent import renamed all windows again to ...name1
Then I thought if I clean up the project the would be eliminated, but that was not the case. As renaming the windows will affect the code if it is in refrence to that particular window name it means all code has to be adjusted in order to make things work.
How can this be avoided?

Also a very annoying thing is that imported windows can not be imported in to a custom folder, that would make it easier to keeop overview. Perhaps there is a trick to get that done

Thanks
Jeff
Al
June 23, 2009 02:13PM
Hello Hans

You can't rename any Windev object outside of the project editor, because Windev objects have two names, their file name and their logical name.

The only way I know of to successfully rename a window is to use the File > "SaveAs" option in the main project editor. You also need to use the project pane to delete or remove items from the project.

The project can get confused if there are copies in the groupware folder or the project thinks they are checked out so the method I use to copy a window is as follows:
Close all open windows
Check the Project > "Status of the Elements" to make sure that all the windows have been checked in.
Re-open the window I want to copy.
SaveAs "NewName" and then the current window will be the "NewName"
Close that window and then re-open it.

I have found that if you do not close and re-open the new "saved as" window there can be problems with copies of the original being left in the groupware folder, because it has not been closed properly by the "SaveAs" process.

Regards
Al
Hans60
June 23, 2009 03:38PM
Hi Al,
many thanks for your detailed explanations! I will try that next time.

Regards
Hans
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.