Advanced

Anybody seen this one ?

Posted by Steven Sitas 
Steven Sitas
Anybody seen this one ?
June 18, 2009 12:21PM
Hello,
Has anybody seen this one ?

1. Load project "WD Managing Orders" from the examples (WinDev14)
2. Run it and choose "Manage the customers"
3. Select Customer SHAPES (this is the company name)
4. Try to delete it the FIRST time (and you will get a referential error)
5. Try to delete it the SECOND time and you will also get the referential integrity error BUT now you are stuck with the message/window. You cannot close the error window or even stop the app ...

I first saw this kind of problems in my code and I was thinking it was my fault

Any Ideas?

Steven Sitas
ICI
Re: Anybody seen this one ?
June 19, 2009 11:28PM
Yes. I have one idea.
I am stop to using V14 and back to V12 and also to V11.
Maybe till the end of year V14 will be stable or maybe never will.
How is going to happened may be V14 will be forgoten like Windows Vista. :cheers:

Off course this is just my opinion. Again :cheers:
Jimbo
June 20, 2009 08:12AM
ICI
Yes. I have one idea.
I am stop to using V14 and back to V12 and also to V11.
Maybe till the end of year V14 will be stable or maybe never will.
How is going to happened may be V14 will be forgoten like Windows Vista. :cheers:

Off course this is just my opinion. Again :cheers:

This is bullshit. A broken example, nothing else. If this type of problems throws you back into stoneage you're to scare easily ..
ICI
June 20, 2009 02:28PM
hehe Jimbo.
I agree with you in some aspects.
V12 is not stoneage. Before 2 months you use it normaly.
I have V14 and as you see my posts before 7-10 days, and also one blog about V14.
I have much bigger problems than one example. For me, and for many developers V14 quits after few clicks without any message and it's non working environment. But, like I say. This is just my opinion. :cheers:
Maybe it is my language bar or anything else, but for me French version is not acceptable and I don't wish to learn French. I need English working version. Maybe I am alone [[3]] and I don't want to make "bad note" about V14, just I say what is situation on the air.
I am not ready for [[4]], so [[2]]
Jimbo
June 20, 2009 07:28PM
Hi ICI,
I had a talk to my son today and he complained about daily crashes of the v14-IDE too. Vista*64, 4GB RAM, and IE8. Using Vista*64 / IE8 I had about 1 to 2 crashes of the v14-IDE per day as well. Now I'm using Windows 7 RC*64, 4GB RAM, FireFox only. Though I'm using v14 on a daily basis (about 4 - 12 hours / day) not a single crash of the IDE occured since switching over to Windows 7 RC !!! What does that tell us?

OK, sometimes there is still an annoying delay of up to 20 seconds when changing the caption of a control. This is new in v14. And yes, still a lot of French in v14 - this had been much better in previous versions. This is one thing.

But it's a completely different thing to tell others that v14 is not to be used because a crash of a single example project did happen. So what? Mr Sitas did not look into the project, did not fix the code, did not tell us about a programming error, nothing. Just complaining.

Kind regards,
Guenter

ICI
June 20, 2009 07:52PM
Jimbo
Hi ICI,
I had a talk to my son today and he complained about daily crashes of the v14-IDE too. Vista*64, 4GB RAM, and IE8. Using Vista*64 / IE8 I had about 1 to 2 crashes of the v14-IDE per day as well. Now I'm using Windows 7 RC*64, 4GB RAM, FireFox only. Though I'm using v14 on a daily basis (about 4 - 12 hours / day) not a single crash of the IDE occured since switching over to Windows 7 RC !!! What does that tell us?

Yes Jimbo. Again, I agree with you in many aspects, but.
Like you say. It tells me that we need to change Operating systems, buy new PC's, Using only FireFox, don't trust Microsoft and so on,... to be able to using V14 without crash.
This situation can tell me only one: V14 is not stil stable and is not well tested.
Whenever you think and say, I will agree with you and also disagree in some aspects. That is magical circle. Not all of us can be satified.

I stil use Windows XP SP2 and SP3 on some PC's, V12 work without any problem.
Even, any new software I install, V12 still work great. Also V11.
My suggestion to Steven was not to degrade V14. I say on the end :cheers: to all.
I love WinDev, but, when something is not OK, than is not. :hot:
Fabrice Harari
June 20, 2009 07:56PM
Hi everybody...

I am using both french and us version of 14 and didn't get any type of crash on my vista 32 machine...

And the annoying delay seems to be linked to the presence/absence/settings of openoffice which is used for spell checking

AFAIK, each time somebody experienced crashes like those described (and that is not something new to 14), it was due to an interaction with something else, either anti-virus or similar 'look at everything' program, graphic driver version, graphic driver settings (hardware acceleration) or general instability of the system...

Stopping to use the version will unfortunately not solve the problem, except if you plan on not using it at all.

I would advise that you try first to stop all other programs, remove hardware accelerations, try on another system, etc, to try and find the culprit

Best regards

Steven Sitas
June 21, 2009 11:15AM
Guenter,
You are seeing nightmares smiling smiley
I did not complain and ofcourse I did "post" the code that shows the problem.

If you re-read my message you will see that I am refering to code that PCSoft has published (it is in one of its examples), the code is OK and the RAD uses this kind of code extensively. Just follow the steps provided an you will see the "code and the problem".
The problem is definetly with V14 runtimes.

So to say that "did not fix the code, did not tell us about a programming error, nothing. Just complaining" has nothing to do with my post ...

and please don't act as a "policeman" on these forums.
You are not the only one interested in WD success, I also have paid for it and it is to my interest also to have a good and stable v14 version.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.