Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WD12] HReadSeekFirst faster as TableSeek?

Posted by Louis Verbraak 
Louis Verbraak
[WD12] HReadSeekFirst faster as TableSeek?
June 15, 2009 11:05AM
Hello to you all,

I found out with ProfilerStart() and ProfilerEnd() that it is faster to find a record with HReadSeekFirst than to find the same value in a table with TableSeek. The difference is significant (1s 856 ms for TableSeek and 2 ms. for HReadSeekFirst). I didn't expect this. The table (and the file) consists of about 4500 records and I use the table with indirection.

Did anyone encountered this as well and is there a advice when to use TableSeek of HReadSeekFirst?
Maybe its the indirection???

Regards

issah
Louis Verbraak
Re: [WD12] HReadSeekFirst faster as TableSeek?
June 15, 2009 04:55PM
Hello Issah,

There is a difference in using indirection from another program or from a report. From another program executes quit fast (almose as fast as without indirection), but from the report it's very time-consuming.
Yes Louis.
I also see in my applications. TableSeek and also Seek integrated into column header is slower than HReadSeekXX and TableDisplay() from EDT_Box.
Also 1s is slow with only 4800 records, when I compare with my old application using DBFs and I was thinking that my old application is slow with search sometime. But your result is, hm.

Regards !
Louis Verbraak
June 15, 2009 07:04PM
Hello Ici,

Thanks for your time. I'll use HReadSeekFirst.
Louis,
HReadSeekFirst is not absolute solution.
Column header integrated seek (based on your table keys) is much comfortable solution than you always make "edt_box" controls. You heft to decide where you will use your seek solution, but to make edt_boxes for all your keys into tables is not always good.
When you have 3,5 or maybe than keys and user wnat to seek on all of them.
Think about it. I prefer to use integrated solution except some situations.

Once again. Don't accept my reply like final solution and again think. :cheers:
Louis Verbraak
June 15, 2009 11:07PM
Hello Ici,

Once again. Don't accept my reply like final solution and again think.

I will. Thanks again.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.