Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

English WD14 Beta Experiences

Posted by Malc 
Malc
English WD14 Beta Experiences
May 11, 2009 01:54PM
Hi Guys

Recently downloaded the English Beta, and was wondering whether there are any others who have followed suite with whom I can compare notes.

My assumption is that the English Beta should be functionally identical to the released French version but with limited translations, which I would hope would not affect the main code base. In this regard the product could be considered more than a beta and pretty close to the final release.

I actually hope that the above assumption is incorrect, because even with the limited time I have spent with the product I have had several unexplained crashes.

I seem to recall when WD12 was released, I was advised that the initial release was not suitable for production. I do find this an odd situation as we are in the privileged? position of having the French release handle the initial bug hunting. Therefore it stands to reason that when the English version finally gets released, it is actually a more robust release. (Translation of string resources within the product, though time-consuming, shouldn't actually introduce new bugs)

Am I being overly optimistic?

I only spent two or three months on WD11 before upgrading to WD12, but have felt 12 was less robust and slower than 11. I hope this is not a trend.

Anyone out there using the French version as well? How robust is the IDE in the final release?

Regards

Malc

Fabrice Harari.pcs.crosspost
Re: English WD14 Beta Experiences
May 11, 2009 04:24PM
Hi Malc...

the english version is NEARLY the same as the french one (there is a
test1 version 29 out there now) and it's therefore about the same level
of stability

And according to the posts on the French forum, there are still quite a
few bugs in the current version, even if many problem were solved since
the initial release.

best regards

--
Fabrice Harari
Consultant WinDev, WebDev et WinDev Mobile International

Plus d'information sur [fabriceharari.com]

Malc wrote:
> Hi Guys
> Recently downloaded the English Beta, and was wondering whether there are any others who have followed suite with whom I can compare notes.
> My assumption is that the English Beta should be functionally identical to the released French version but with limited translations, which I would hope would not affect the main code base. In this regard the product could be considered more than a beta and pretty close to the final release.
> I actually hope that the above assumption is incorrect, because even with the limited time I have spent with the product I have had several unexplained crashes.
> I seem to recall when WD12 was released, I was advised that the initial release was not suitable for production. I do find this an odd situation as we are in the privileged? position of having the French release handle the initial bug hunting. Therefore it stands to reason that when the English version finally gets released, it is actually a more robust release. (Translation of string resources within the product, though time-consuming, shouldn't actually introduce new bugs)
>
> Am I being overly optimistic?
> I only spent two or three months on WD11 before upgrading to WD12, but have felt 12 was less robust and slower than 11. I hope this is not a trend.
> Anyone out there using the French version as well? How robust is the IDE in the final release?
>
> Regards
>
> Malc
>
>
>
>
>
Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
Malc
Re: Re: English WD14 Beta Experiences
May 11, 2009 04:56PM
Hi Fabrice

Thanks for the response.

Well, I guess I'll just keep playing until the 'official' release is made then start bombarding PC Soft with bug reports.

Cheers

Malc

KenKnight
May 12, 2009 01:10AM
From the little time that I've had to play with ver14 I can say the main instability I've experienced has been with how it communicates with OpenOffice for spell check within the IDE. My IDE will often hang requiring IDE restart with OO installed and spellchecker enabled.

Cheers!
Ken
Malc
May 12, 2009 11:26AM
Hi Ken

As well as the occasional instability, I've found 3 issues so far which differ between 12 and 14 and required recoding.

I'll post them in the WX-Products: Reports of malfunctions & bugs forum

(anyone know how to put links to that forum here? - tried adding url and didn't work)

I think I'll disregard my previous comment about waiting for the official release and notify PC Soft as well.

Regards

Malc
Piet van Zanten
May 18, 2009 05:45PM
Hi,

I cannot say I am really happy with Windev 14 sofar. It crashes far more often than WD 12 and converting a Windev 12 app produces slightly different (unwanted) behaviour.
- compiler errors don't get updated all the time, not even after recompiling.
- searching after making some modifications in code does not find text that has just been inserted.
- I removed the fixed columns of a table, but on testmode WD refuses to scroll the previously fixed columns, no matter what I do (deleting cpl dir etc.)
I spent rather a lot of time trying to use table headers and footers, but sofar it seems to be not working as it should. e.g. when using headers and footers, all the headers and footers are fixed to the left as they should, except for the topmost header and footer, which scroll away.
Adressing properties for headers and footers by code seems to be impossible even though the Help states otherwise.
The use of container cells in a table is also a great way to get WD14 to crash.

I thought the new table control could be a nice replacement for the graphical planner I wrote, which uses a large image control to draw a grid for all the days of a year. Even though it uses many lines of code including numerous drawing functions to achieve scrolling, the horizontal scrolling of a 365 column table is much, much slower (and ugly).
Switching to a horizontal table caused another crash.

A small bright spot: what seems to be solved is the bug in the handling of a modification in the declaration of variables. In previous versions if you removed the first one of a row of variables in a declaration (declare a,b,c,d are int and delete a,), it would result in a real ugly mess.

I have not created an executable yet, so no experience on that part.

We should bear in mind that this is actually Windev 13 grinning smiley AND a beta, so I'll be patient and stick with WD 12 for the time being.

Regards,
Piet
Patrice Terrier
May 19, 2009 08:14AM
We should bear in mind that this is actually Windev 13 AND a beta,

I should disagree, WinDev 13 is the sole version without any problem.
Peter Raines
May 19, 2009 11:26AM
Haha - good one Patrice. Right on the money too!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.