Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

U.S. Wx Technical Support

Posted by tfischbeck 
tfischbeck
U.S. Wx Technical Support
May 07, 2009 03:45PM
Friends...

We are pleased to announce that we are now able to offer hourly technical support services for WinDev, WebDev, and WinDevMobile. These block hours could be used for individual training, receiving answers to how-to questions, consulting, etc. The consulting services would primarily be offered at the end of the day, evenings and weekends. The cost is $90 per hour, and the hours can be used in 15-minute increments. Once purchased, these hours expire after one calendar year. If you are interested, please call me at 270-822-4218

Best Regards,

Tim Fischbeck [[5]]
WinDev-US Sales
Al
Re: U.S. Wx Technical Support
May 07, 2009 04:36PM
Hello Tim

Every single post you have made on this forum has been to sell something.

I strongly object to you hawking this type of service in this forum where all the other forum members are prepared to give their time freely to help each other.

You have never personally helped with any question on this forum yet feel that you still have the right to advertise here.

Take a leaf out of Guenter's book, he set up this forum, moderates it, pays for it, and answers questions all the time. Fabrice answers questions here all the time, yet earns his living as a consultant. Ken Knight has set up a web site to help people and I could go on about all the other contributors to this forum

You contribute nothing.

Al
"Kevin Erskine".pcs.crosspost
May 07, 2009 05:46PM
Al,

Are you aware that Tim is the US distributor to Wx?

So, I see your point, but considering who he is I think his post have been
justified.

--
Kevin Erskine
Software By Ragazzi
www.Software-By-Ragazzi.com
Alameda, CA (USA)

"Al" <guest@news.pcsoft.fr> wrote in message
news:69942009050716500419.27024@news.pcsoft.fr...
>
> Hello Tim
> Every single post you have made on this forum has been to sell something.
> I strongly object to you hawking this type of service in this forum where
> all the other forum members are prepared to give their time freely to help
> each other.
> You have never personally helped with any question on this forum yet feel
> that you still have the right to advertise here.
> Take a leaf out of Guenter's book, he set up this forum, moderates it,
> pays for it, and answers questions all the time. Fabrice answers
> questions here all the time, yet earns his living as a consultant. Ken
> Knight has set up a web site to help people and I could go on about all
> the other contributors to this forum
> You contribute nothing.
>
> Al
>

--
Kevin Erskine
Software By Ragazzi
Alameda, CA (USA)

Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
GuenterP
Re: Re: U.S. Wx Technical Support
May 07, 2009 07:27PM

Hi Kevin,

there is a 'small' difference. Mr Fischbeck wants to sell support for Wx-programmers by the hour, which means that he wants to charge for basically the same service this forum offers for free. In addition PC Soft's Tech Support is a free service to users of PC Soft products too. An interesting question is HOW Mr Fischbeck intends to perform his paid support service. The worst case I could imagine is that he employed PC Soft Tech Support or participants of this forum ...

Distributorship: I do not know Mr Fischbeck's function / relation to Eidetik Inc., but afaik Mr Marc Beaven / Eidetik Inc. is the US-distributor for PC Soft products. Mr Fischbeck did not introduce himself to the forum telling us his function at / relationship to Eidetic Inc.

Sure, we welcome offerings of forum participants to act as consultants or freelancers to Wx-users or their customers, because this relates to projects & work to be done and has nothing to do with the free services this forum offers.

Kind regards,
Guenter

[quote "Kevin Erskine".pcs.crosspost]Al,

Are you aware that Tim is the US distributor to Wx?

So, I see your point, but considering who he is I think his post have been
justified.

--
Kevin Erskine
Software By Ragazzi
Alameda, CA (USA)

"Al" <guest@news.pcsoft.fr> wrote in message
news:69942009050716500419.27024@news.pcsoft.fr...
>
> Hello Tim
> Every single post you have made on this forum has been to sell something.
> I strongly object to you hawking this type of service in this forum where
> all the other forum members are prepared to give their time freely to help
> each other.
> You have never personally helped with any question on this forum yet feel
> that you still have the right to advertise here.
> Take a leaf out of Guenter's book, he set up this forum, moderates it,
> pays for it, and answers questions all the time. Fabrice answers
> questions here all the time, yet earns his living as a consultant. Ken
> Knight has set up a web site to help people and I could go on about all
> the other contributors to this forum
> You contribute nothing.
>
> Al
>

--
Kevin Erskine
Software By Ragazzi
Alameda, CA (USA)

Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev[/quote]
M. Beaven
May 07, 2009 08:15PM
Gentleman,

I see that Tim's post was received as a bit more controversial that I'm sure was the intent.

While I don't intend to speak for Tim nor do I draft his posts, Tim is employed by Eidetik, Inc.- who are the official distributor for PCSoft in the United States. Therefore any posts made by Tim would technically represent posts from Eidetik/me as a distributor.

Tim is not a programmer but an employee of Eidetik performing various tasks on our behalf, one of which is marketing and processing PCSoft product sales consistent with the agreement we have with PCSoft.

To that end, I believe this post was made as a response to many requests that Tim has received via phone or email asking for paid support for English-speaking users related to specific projects. It is not Tim nor I that will be delivering or receive payment for this service, but a fellow developer who regularly posts on this forum.

In this regard, while one may miscontrue Tim's intent in doing so, his post is really no different from many that I have seen offering services or requesting employment on this forum, albeit perhaps in a more "official" capacity. The result would have been the same if Tim's post were made on the "official" PCSoft forum and were cross-posted here.

Nonetheless, if this post or any other offends forum participants, I of course request that Guenter delete the post and I on behalf of Eidetik apologize for any such offense or misunderstanding. We fully respect that this forum is moderated by Guenter and we wholly respect his rights to delete and edit as he sees fit.

Regards,

-Marc Beaven
Windev-US
Fabrice Harari.pcs.crosspost
May 07, 2009 09:01PM
Hi Al...

3 points:
- the technical support in question has been requested by many users,
telling them it's now available will certainly help them
- For what I understand, the technical support in question will be done
by no other than Ken Knight, who, you pointed out yourself, is helping
regularly here
- One of the main problem that non French speaking users of windev are
having is the lack of resource in that language... I know, I make a
living out of it :-) So using the forum where they congregate to tell
them that new resources are available, even paying resources, looks like
a good idea to me

In fact, I don't see why this forum could not even become MORE
'professional'.. By example when you have a software ready, you may want
to consider announcing here that you are looking for resellers, and
giving a link for more information...

We are all professionals here, we all do these things for a living, so I
don't see why doing an announcement from time to time can hurt anybody

But that was just my 2 cents, of course

Best regards

--
Fabrice Harari
International WinDev, WebDev and WinDev mobile Consulting

More information on [www.fabriceharari.com]

Kevin Erskine wrote:
> Al,
>
> Are you aware that Tim is the US distributor to Wx?
>
> So, I see your point, but considering who he is I think his post have been
> justified.
>
Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
Glenn Rathke
May 07, 2009 09:17PM
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the post. I know there are some users who will be glad to know the service exists. If this notice were not posted here I may have missed it.

As you have in the past, please keep us informed with ANY offerings that are pertinent to the WinDev family of products.

Glenn Rathke
Bosher
May 07, 2009 09:32PM
My word, we're all a bit touchy lately aren't we???

Could we just get on with assisting each other?

If someone wants to pay for 1-1 support then let them. If you don't want to, then don't!

Simple as..

This is the second flamefest in recent memory. Wastes everyones time...

Bosh
GuenterP
May 07, 2009 11:08PM

Hi Marc,

I think, there would have been better ways to annonce / promote such a paid service - e.g. on your homepage www.windev-us.net and informing people here by .. hey, have a look, there are new services available .. anyway, it happened and of course, I do not intend to delete anything. I'm a moderator at best, but not a censor. This is not my forum it's the forum of all of us.

Announcing a paid service to do basically the same as is done here for free has to be accompanied by a good explanation: what is Eidetik Inc offering more than the services this forum / PC Soft Tech Support are able to offer? Mr Fischbeck did not explain anything. It's like offering Open Source Software for sale while you can download the same thing for free from somewhere else. Some bad taste left.

Kind regards,
Guenter

M. Beaven
Gentleman,

I see that Tim's post was received as a bit more controversial that I'm sure was the intent.

While I don't intend to speak for Tim nor do I draft his posts, Tim is employed by Eidetik, Inc.- who are the official distributor for PCSoft in the United States. Therefore any posts made by Tim would technically represent posts from Eidetik/me as a distributor.

Tim is not a programmer but an employee of Eidetik performing various tasks on our behalf, one of which is marketing and processing PCSoft product sales consistent with the agreement we have with PCSoft.

To that end, I believe this post was made as a response to many requests that Tim has received via phone or email asking for paid support for English-speaking users related to specific projects. It is not Tim nor I that will be delivering or receive payment for this service, but a fellow developer who regularly posts on this forum.

In this regard, while one may miscontrue Tim's intent in doing so, his post is really no different from many that I have seen offering services or requesting employment on this forum, albeit perhaps in a more "official" capacity. The result would have been the same if Tim's post were made on the "official" PCSoft forum and were cross-posted here.

Nonetheless, if this post or any other offends forum participants, I of course request that Guenter delete the post and I on behalf of Eidetik apologize for any such offense or misunderstanding. We fully respect that this forum is moderated by Guenter and we wholly respect his rights to delete and edit as he sees fit.

Regards,

-Marc Beaven
Windev-US
Carlo Hermus
May 08, 2009 12:37AM
Hi,

Maybe I am not getting it, but what is the difference between offering a paid service by hourly rate (Eiditik) and offering a paid service by a tool (Patrice Terrier). When Patrice offers his work on the forum everyone goes ooh aah and with Eiditik we go boo baa. Sorry but I just don't get it.
tfischbeck
May 08, 2009 05:24AM
To all&#8230;

Sorry to have caused such a stir today. Believe me, the controversy was entirely unintentional, as I was just excited to announce a service that had been requested many times in the past. I agree 100%, this forum is a priceless resource that we use on a daily basis; moreover, we direct more people to this forum than we do to outside contractors. In fact, I referred a new customer to the forum this afternoon. However, there are some things that just cannot effectively be accomplished through any forum, like guiding someone through a tough programming task, one-off training, consulting, etc. The goal was not to detract away from this forum&#8217;s effectiveness or use, just to provide a needed service.

In addition, I apologize that I did not explicitly state my function or relationship to the Eidetik distributorship. I had assumed that the nature of my previous posts (of which, not all were posted to solicit sales) and the fact that I had &#8220;WinDev-US Sales&#8221; as my tag line sufficed. Nevertheless, thank you Guenter for your guidance. I will follow your lead.

Kindest Regards,

Tim Fischbeck
WINDEV-US SALES
U.S. Distributorship
Donald Montaine
May 08, 2009 06:46AM
Given how hard it has been to even have a US distributor available that didn't charge 125% of the European price,

And, given how little English language or US based help has been available over the years (English language LST, ever seen one of those?)

Why anyone would flame ANY offer of help or support in the US, either paid or free, is totally beyond me.
Hans60
May 09, 2009 06:33PM
Fabrice Harari.pcs.crosspost
Hi Al...
We are all professionals here, we all do these things for a living, so I...........

Am I the only one not fulfilling these standards? Is there no WinDev Community for beginners ?

Something like WinDev for Dummies?
Having this status I wonder what this LST info is about many are talking about it but I still don't know what exactly it contains and if it would be worth to brush up my French in order to get me further. Such a tool could also be used to transport advertisement.
Some weeks ago one thread was about a English substitute and I was hoping there would be more news about it, but then it became quiet again.
Several Programmers I talked to did either not know WinDev or the ones who knew it said it is just a programmable database....
So to make a long story short...... I personally would appreciate if there was one place where some of the available work could be seen and services available .... how about some small sample programs/source codes one could buy... including instructions?

I am interested in:
- Windev Hosting
- Sample code
- Video Tutorials
- Company Links
- Sample Tools with istructions
- Support available

If my beginner questions are a burden to the community please let me know...
Thanks for the support so far.
Hans
Al
May 10, 2009 07:08AM
Hello Hans

My original post was misconstrued, I am not against promotion of services through the forum in principle. What raised my ire was the fact that Tim's only connection to the forum is to sell, a function I think should be done in moderation and offset by assisting in answering questions in the manner of Fabrice who provides enormous support to the forum and "advertises" his services by proving his abilities and his competency to provide services with every post. Tim did none of these things and yes I appreciate that he is a sales person and not a programmer, but this is not a forum for salespeople.

At the time I posted I was also unaware of the connection between Tim and his employer Marc Beaven, the US distributor, who does occassionally contribute to the forum, but I do not retreat from the sentiment of my original post in any way. To offer a paid service that duplicates the free service offered by the forum without also contributing freely to the day to day questions on the forum is wrong.

There is no need for a Windev for dummies - I think that whole publishing concept is quite demeaning to the purchaser - and I think that all questions need to be answered, no matter how basic, because we have all been in that newbie stage, but I think the forum should be perhaps the second or third port of call after making attempts at a problem and reading the manual.

Your question " what this LST info is about many are talking about it but I still don't know what exactly it contains" is perhaps an example of asking on the forum first without doing the research. A Google search or a look at the French PCSoft would give you the answers about what the LST is, what it contains and provide many videos and samples to answer some of your other questions. Google will do a very good job of translating the LST page on the French PCSoft site to inform you of the contents of the current LST and previous copies and you can purchase current and back copies directly from PCSoft. There are more sample videos on the LST and PCSoft maintains an FTP site with sample code from previous versions.

Regards
Al

Donald Montaine
May 10, 2009 08:28AM
I am not aware of any official forum charter that says that commercial postings (or postings by newbies that have not read the manual) are off limits.

It there is one, then place a link so that we can all easily read it. If there is not then perhaps the best advice (with apologies to the Beatles) is to just "Let it be".
Glenn Rathke
May 10, 2009 03:14PM
Hi,

I find it interesting that we all wait for the announcement for the latest release of the WinDev family of products from the distributors (which we have to pay for). Why is it ok for that to be publicized here but not the tech support aspect. Last time I checked we have to purchase the upgrades. I don't get it...

We also have announcements that there are freelance programmers available. If I'm not mistaken, those services have to be paid for too.

Personally, I'm fine with it all.

Glenn
Jimbo
May 10, 2009 05:48PM
Glenn Rathke
Hi,

I find it interesting that we all wait for the announcement for the latest release of the WinDev family of products from the distributors (which we have to pay for). Why is it ok for that to be publicized here but not the tech support aspect. Last time I checked we have to purchase the upgrades. I don't get it...

We also have announcements that there are freelance programmers available. If I'm not mistaken, those services have to be paid for too.

Personally, I'm fine with it all.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

- v14/US. You can ask your distributor or PC Soft to let them execute your order for v14/US and you will receive your dongle code within about 24 - 48 hours on work days. We've discussed that here and I received about two dozen requests which were reacted upon. PC Soft sent those codes out on Monday / Tuesday last week.

- Tech Support. Absolutely no objections against anybody well-known to offer paid support, freelancing, seeking a job, whatever. Mr Fischbeck is not known to contribute anything here but offered to sell Tech Support. How would he do that? As it turned out after a bit of discussion, Tim Fischbeck is an employee of Eidetik Inc. and they are offering support given by Mr Ken Knight. If you read the above postings, Marc Beaven & Tim Fischbeck did understand our problem with that approach, apologized & explained the situation. Everything's OK now.

Guenter

Art Bonds
May 13, 2009 12:40AM
Hans, Fabrice Harari has video courses. His info is in this thread.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.