Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strange performance change with automatic update

Posted by Jeff Graham 
Jeff Graham
Strange performance change with automatic update
April 15, 2008 11:13PM
We have an application that is running in 20+ schools in a district. They recently made all the computers networked so we installed automatic update for the application. Now we have slow performance at the schools with automatic update but not at those that still use standalone updates. Both are running the same version.

Another odd thing is that if a school with automatic update and slow performance runs with the network cable disconnected, the performance problem goes away. All the data is local to the machine and single user with Hyper File Classic.

We have another district that also has networked schools and automatic updates but they do not have performance problems as bad as the new installation. However, we now suspect they run slower than standalone update installations, after doing tests with them.

I thought that the automatic update folders are only accessed at application load and close but not during processing. The performance is mostly related to operations on a large transactions file but it is only 5MB with a 1MB NDX.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause such a problem?

Thanks,
Jeff Graham
M. Beaven
Re: Strange performance change with automatic update
April 16, 2008 03:11AM
Hi Jeff,

Just a guess, but I would look at the .rep file. If it is not occurring with the network cable disconnected, this could likely be the culprit, based on past experience. You should be able to open the .rep file with WDOptimizer and "clean out" the file.

HTH,

Marc
Jeff Graham
April 17, 2008 04:24AM
Hi Marc,

Thanks for the guess. We did find two schools with .REP files which we deleted but it did not help the problem. Also, we have some schools with the performance problem and no .REP file. I added HSetRep(false) to the Project Code a long time ago.

The performance degrades if and only if the application was installed with automatic update and the machine is connected to the network. All data is local to the machine. I know automatic update checks the version at startup and makes a lock file and then removes the lock file on exit. However, it should have no network traffic otherwise, so why the performance problem with this district?

There seems to be a problem with the server this school district is using or the way the automatic update was set up. We have other school districts using automatic update without a problem. However, they blame our software, of course, so we have to figure out the cause.

I do have a request in to PC Soft as well. Hopefully someone will have more suggestions. Meanwhile I am trying to reproduce the problem on our server.

Cheers,
Jeff
Paulo Oliveira
April 17, 2008 11:25AM
i don't know how the automatic update really works but it must connect to the ser from time to time because you can lock the application and things like that using the wdadminexe.exe util.
Run the wdadminexe.exe util. and check the duration of the status check.
All the functions of the automatic update are based in the file WDUPDATE.NET, check this file in the client and in the server.
If you remove the WDUPDATE.NET from the client the automatic update doesn't work anymore, try in one of the pc without this file (rename it) and run your app.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.