Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WD14 - Compression - I am speechless

Posted by Michael Drechsel 
Michael Drechsel
WD14 - Compression - I am speechless
May 02, 2009 01:26PM
Hi,

I just tested my application (Table with 10.000 Records over Internet with ADSL 2000)

Here the results:

WD12 - 37 sec
WD14 without frame compression - 33 sec
WD 14 with ... - 10 sec

this is really great .... and the auto reconnect also .....
Ruben Sanchez Peña
Re: WD14 - Compression - I am speechless
May 02, 2009 02:36PM
Wow, thank you Michael, i am waiting for these things grinning smiley

Rubén
James Nicholson-Plank
May 14, 2009 07:20AM
Hi Micheal
Im curious how your using frame compression and auto connect?
Is your app a remote one with the tables on a server across the internet?
ie a sort of smart client?
Or are you using this for replication, or other

Cheers James
Michael Drechsel
May 14, 2009 08:43AM
Hi James,

we use HF C/S over the internet with a full client program at the user side.
Works great.
James
May 14, 2009 10:59AM
Thanks Michael
Thats great news.
I bought WD to work with the internet as I have a lot of small clients that interact with each other.
Have been looking into replication. There is a basic wizard built into WD. But after looking at Fabrices videos, I realize there is a minefield of details you have to programme for.

So really pleased someone is actually using client server over the Net. Can side step replication I hope.
Will get stuck into some testing when I receive V14.
Great news about compression.

Cheers James
Michael Drechsel
May 14, 2009 11:07AM
Hi James,

the only problem using native HF C/S over the internet are the security settings of some companies. Many of them doesn´t allow the direct internet access from the client to our HF SQL Server. I didn´t try SOAP because I think it´s not made for a big number of data records which must be transmitted. So I plan to use webdev for these companies.

Paulo Oliveira
May 14, 2009 11:56AM
Michael the decision between client/server(Windev) & web (Webdev) application is mutch more complex than this.
This is only one small part of the problem, but in some cases it it the only solution.

This post is only to remember that you must consider several other things like server vs pc processor, broswer limitations vs softare installed in the pc and so on ........
Michael Drechsel
May 14, 2009 12:20PM
Hi Paulo,

I know and I am a webdev absolut beginner :-)

But I develop an application with a great number of users from many companies and some of them don´t install my client-software cause of "security".

I think webdev is the only solution for this kind of users. But I am afraid that my webdev pendant of my application can´t be so powerfull as the windev program ....

Lets see in the next weeks ....You will see me here with many stupid webdev questions :-)
Paulo Oliveira
May 14, 2009 01:09PM
We had the same problem and we choose some kind of mix solution, always the same dillema time vs money.
We made the front end in Webdev and the back office in windev.
The back office is used thru terminal server normally the back office part is accessed only for a small number of users and in this cases we use one VPN connection instead of internet direct access.
With this kind of solution there is no software install in the client machines, no DB direct access thru internet and so on.
It was the fastest and cheapest solution we can find for our case, it depends of your applications and how they are done, our was done in windev since version 7.5 and it was impossible for us to change everything to webdev in the time frame required by our costumers.
Goof.pcs.crosspost
May 19, 2009 12:52PM
You can try using a VPN like OpenVPN.
I used it for a distributed application witch send data to my customers
servers, and it work great.
It work on XP, vista, 2003 server, Linux (not yet tested on 2008 server)
The stream can be routed as it's a simple and customizable TCP or UDP
socket connexion.
(may use port 80 or any non blocked port, but default is 1194 UDP)
Bye

Goof

Michael Drechsel a écrit :
> Hi James,
> the only problem using native HF C/S over the internet are the security settings of some companies. Many of them doesn´t allow the direct internet access from the client to our HF SQL Server. I didn´t try SOAP because I think it´s not made for a big number of data records which must be transmitted. So I plan to use webdev for these companies.
Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.