Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windev vs Suneido ..

Posted by BLS 
BLS
Windev vs Suneido ..
April 20, 2009 05:12PM
Not a complete comparison chart smiling smiley Just a few facts and one thing I would really like to see in Windev too.
Suneido's language is comparable to Ruby.
Suneido has no visual tools.
Suneido does not support SQL , instead it uses relational algebra language. (Like it)

However, Suneido comes with a very impressive feature I would like to see in Windev !

This is to enable the END USER to add a control to a Form window at runtime. Two things happen :
The database will be modified in order to hold the new information. (represented through the new control ) The program is modified automagically.. But read/see it by your self. (if you like)
[www.suneido.com]

Beside that, I think a person which speaks fluently Suneido will win a RAD Race. The resulting software is, IMO, not as eye candy as the Windev one.

Björn

What is Suneido : [www.suneido.com]

Quote :
Suneido is a complete, integrated application platform -
a system for developing and deploying applications without the frustrations of integrating multiple different products.
Suneido incorporates an object-oriented programming language, client-server relational database software, and application frameworks and components. It includes the integrated development environment (IDE) used to create applications as well as the client and server required to run applications across networks. Suneido is Open Source - it is provided free, with complete source code. .
heinz kübler
Re: Windev vs Suneido ..
April 20, 2009 09:57PM
Nothing against suneido,

... but PC-Soft, please do NOT implement this feature,

it would be a nigthmare for a serious developper (if he would ever use such a thing ?)

As soon as users would start adding datafields to a database there is no way to deliver an update (release) of your software

-> complet loose of control
-> who is responsible for resulting problems/errors ?

just my 2 cents..

Fabrice Harari
April 20, 2009 10:30PM
Hi all...

in fact, even without pcsoft, it's already possible to implement this feature with a little coding, and it's perfectly maintainable...

- Use the cloning functions for the visual aspect
- Store and reuse the description of fields in memo under a schema looking something like this:
F1LabelUS=
F1LabelFR=
F1Type=
F1Mask=
FnLabel...
- Store the content of ALL 'user' fields in ONE memo field, under a schema looking by example like this:
F1=
F2=
F3=

If keys are necessary on some of those fields, manage them 'by hand' in coded designed index files...

And a new version of the software doesn't change a field, considering that all this is in ONE memo field per record...

In fact, you could design a whole application entirely like this

Best regards

BLS
April 21, 2009 04:17AM
Hi Heinz,
heinz kübler
it would be a nigthmare for a serious developper (if he would ever use such a thing ?)

I have a lot of sleepless nights thanks to unfixed bugs in Windev. Suneido bugs are fixed within 48 hours. Some 3 years old WD bug are still waiting for a fix.

heinz kübler
As soon as users would start adding datafields to a database there is no way to deliver an update (release) of your software
-> complet loose of control
-> who is responsible for resulting problems/errors ?

This is why Suneido has the ensure statement.
Ensure that the specified table has at least the specified characteristics. (It may have more.)
For example:
ensure mytable (name, salary) key(name)
No loose of control, no additional errors. Ick, and less update politics related income winking smiley
Björn
BLS
April 21, 2009 04:22AM
Fabrice Harari
Hi all...

If keys are necessary on some of those fields, manage them 'by hand' in coded designed index files...
Fabrice Harari
WinDev, WebDev, WinDev Mobile Consulting & Video Courses

Yeah, how do you manage this keys by hand ?.
Everything else seems reasonable to me. (may be I would chose XML to store the information)
Björn
BLS
April 21, 2009 04:33AM
Hi Fabrice,
just one additional question : How do you manage anchoring in case that the new control should live between 2 existing ones ?
Guess this is doable but will require a lot of coding.

Björn
Paulo Oliveira
April 21, 2009 02:02PM
we use something like it in all our app.
In our standard db we have several tables to define all the characteristics of the tables, fields, keys, controls and validation rules the coding is base on hdescribefile, hdescribefield, hdescribekey ..., trigger, controlclone and compile.
when the user changes the table definition WDMODFIC doesn't work but we create one dynamic procedure to deal with it.

Some problems (just to start):
hdescribelink doesn't work like it should.
controlclone have some limitations, the size of the edit control label and data is the bigest.

Fabrice Harari.pcs.crosspost
April 21, 2009 02:15PM
Hi Björn

you create a file dynamically with the fields necessary for the key when
the design part is done, and then on each add/modify, you also
automatically modify the key files...

For the anchoring, the ..anchor property is your friend

Best regards

--
Fabrice Harari
International WinDev, WebDev and WinDev mobile Consulting

More information on [www.fabriceharari.com]

BLS wrote:
> Hi all...
>
>
>> If keys are necessary on some of those fields, manage them 'by hand' in coded designed index files...
>
>> Fabrice Harari
>
>> WinDev, WebDev, WinDev Mobile Consulting & Video Courses
> Yeah, how do you manage this keys by hand ?.
> Everything else seems reasonable to me. (may be I would chose XML to store the information)
> Björn
>
>
Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
joe crevino
April 21, 2009 03:14PM
Lets not start comparing and stating that mine is bigger than yours. Use what you like. There are strong and weak points in every system. If you know it well and can make a living with it use it

joe crevino
BLS
April 21, 2009 05:26PM
Joe, don't get me wrong! I like WD.
It is just this feature I would like to see in WD.

But you are right the topic title " XX vs YY" wents into the wrong direction.

Björn
It is however not that bad to have a look on what happens outside our WD world.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.