Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Multi-User

Posted by Rich 
Rich
Multi-User
April 12, 2008 09:34PM
I have a multi-user app that I want to set the maximum number of users for different price brackets.

I am unsure how to do this. sad smiley

My first thought is to have a file that holds the maximum number and the number of installed users. But this means that I will have as many files as I have price brackets and would need a different installation for each price bracket, which sounds cumbersome and difficult to administer.

I am looking for suggestions as to the best way to do this.
Milton
Re: Multi-User
April 12, 2008 11:07PM
Hi Rich,

Maybe you could issue a code word to users, based on the price bracket, and they could enter this code word as part of the logon process. The different code words would determine the total number of users allowed by reference to a table in the database. That way you could have one installation that worked for all situations.

HTH

Milton
Rich
April 12, 2008 11:09PM
Milton,

That is an interesting idea.

I will look into it.
Art Bonds
April 13, 2008 02:21AM
Little confused here on what you want to do? Is this a "if you pay me, the developer, a license fee of $5, 5 people can use the program at a time, but if you pay me $10 then 20 can use it at a time"? Can you post a 'fer instance'?
Rich
April 13, 2008 02:18PM
Art,

It's a marketing sca, er scheme. winking smiley

My marketing guru said it is one way to determine the best price, and a way to increase revenues.

It would be much simpler to offer one price for unlimited multi users.
Ben
April 13, 2008 09:43PM
Hi mate,

This method of software licensing is a proven method to ensure your interests are protected. Think about this, if your application is sold to a company with 10000 employees who could potentially use it, versus a company with 5 users, the pricing model for both should be different.

What I suggest is to have a license server, which itself is bound to a single MAC address. This server then accepts requests whenever clients try to log in. This will increment a count everytime someone comes online, and will enforce the limit.

A price structure thats quite widely used here in the UK is concurrent vs named licenses. Named licenses are generally sold cheaper, but limits the customer to only a certain number of logged on users. Where concurrent licenses can act as a roaming connection model.

It is very important to tie the license server down to a single machine to ensure they cant circumvent the system by double installing it etc.

Hope this helpds

Cheers
Ben
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.